Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I’m watching the Giant Bomb quick look and there appear to be tons of little things like this. Using metal equipment in a storm has a random chance of being struck by lightning.

Spoiler regarding this spoiler:

You can wear this outfit outside of the Gerudo section.

2 Likes

boy howdy i can still get excited about a videogame, i guess

how did the wii-u version turn out?

Will find out tonight. Feeling slightly suckered that the Wii U version cost a few bucks more then the Switch one pretty much all over. I think the best plan might be to never looks at comparison videos of the two so you never know where you’re missing those precious frames. Worked for PS3 Red Dead.

I only just noticed that ‘Breath of the Wild’ is a really strange subtitle.

I honoestly thought it was Breath of the Wind for the longest time, and that made more sense.

1 Like

I got the Wii U version of this installing now. I’ll bee-line to Kakariko Village (town) and see how bad the framerate gets.

Just fighting single monsters in the starting area is dropping to ~20 fps. It’s still pretty responsive, and the FOV of the camera is far back enough you’re not going to get caught on something. It’s like Dark Souls on consoles.

Looks great, though! Easily the best looking Wii U game, punching above its weight with the foliage.

4 Likes

See that actually looks fun

Already been done

1 Like

Y’all don’t need me to tell you Austin Walker’s right, but the story hook here is pretty good!

I’m dying a lot and the traversal is actually difficult! It’s not always obvious where you can get a stamina refill on a cliff. I’m also picking mushrooms and cooking food.

The western comparisons miss the huge MonHun and J-dungeon crawl influences here.

This interests me.

A personal highlight of TP was running out of lantern oil in that long cave next to lake Hylia and navigating the rest through alternate sporadically illuminative methods.

Yeah, in the early goings everything is scarce but many things can be substituted if you try. The twist on the tower-as-vantage-point is that you mark and label points of interest yourself, like Etrian Odyssey.

Wiping doesn’t carry a huge penalty, but it stings just enough to add tension when you’re close. You spend a lot of time at 1/2 heart or at the end of your stamina meter.

In the first 45 minutes or so I’ve already died three times, which is more than I’ve died over the course of some of the prior games (see: Wind Waker). I think it is the game trying to tell me to go do something else for a bit, not that I plan on listening.

I don’t know about this minimalist music.

been staying round my friends and just taking turns playing this on a projector for 10hours or so and wow yeah this rules. just so much fun.

Huh.

I’m not too high on this game yet. It just seems like a bunch of systems for systems’ sake: stamina, cooking, horse bonding, weapon durability. I’m either in menus or I’m fiddling about with something in the environment in service of something that used to be automatic or at least convenient. And the menus… kind of suck. Like why are powers, weapons, shields, etc. not laid out in radials?

I’m really hoping this game isn’t just about trying to make each system less cumbersome through progression, but that’s mostly how it feels so far.

The shrines I’ve hit have been alright though, I’ll say that. And I’m not far along, so maybe I’ll find a groove.

Does this mean that Nintendo has finally made a true Open World Sandbox game

2 Likes

I dunno man. Early on you find an axe and you get a quick tutorial on chopping trees, but soon after that you start running into goblin towers supported by tree-like posts and you can’t cut them down with your axe. Actually, no, that kind of oversight probably qualifies it as a true open world sandbox game.

1 Like