Your Personal 10 PS2 Games

I am gonna think about this for a few days. Out of the 2000 or so PS2 games what’s Your Personal 10 (as opposed to a Sweet 20) Sony Playstation 2 Games.

Does it have Red Star? Ring of Red? Red Dead Revolver (I hope not!) Are you a Fist or Twist or a Boku no Natsuyasumi? Devil May Cry or Devil May Cry 3?

I’ll tell you one of my games is Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex and one of them is not Wild Arms The Vth Vanguard!

12 Likes

project zero 3 (fatal frame iii in america)
silent hill 3 (i like pulpy horror with a bloody revenge plot and unsubtle grossing out at having a body)
breath of fire dragon quarter
metal gear solid 2
melty blood act cadenza / arcana heart / guilty gear xx #reload (just load up an anime fighter)
neo contra
killer7 (never touched this on a gc)
king’s field the ancient city (only game added post my ps2 era)
shin megami tensei lucifer’s call
espgaluda (incredible port, amazing arrange)

17 Likes

feel like if i spent a year playing the ps2 games im interested in, the majority of my personal 10 would change

7 Likes

Will have a think, this is a class act catalogue.

1 Like

Before you make your list, just remember there’s only one PS2 game that features a “stiffy mode.”

4 Likes

Resident Evil 4
Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2

9 Likes

Katamari Damacy and Earth Defense Force 2 are shoo-ins. I can’t think of another 8 tho.

4 Likes

yeah this is very difficult because while i would probably say the ps2 is the best console without hesitation, i haven’t actually played it in a while…

3 Likes

Persona 3
Persona 4
Odin Sphere
Grim Grimoire
Shadow of the Colossus
R-Type Final

Uhhhh that might be it a lot of cross platform stuff I preferred playing on the GameCube and I only had a PS2 very briefly at the end of that generation so I also didn’t play a ton of stuff for the system. And a lot of what I did play I bounced off of immediately.

6 Likes

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero
The Adventures of Cookie and Cream
Amplitude
Final Fantasy XII
Gran Turismo 4
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Global Defence Force
Runabout 3: Neo Age
SSX Tricky

14 Likes

Battle Construction Vehicles (PAL)
The Sopranos: Road To Respect
Frogger: The Great Quest
Ibara
Gallop Racer 2003: A New Breed
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Cheggers Party Quiz
Vectorman ROM
Hugo Bukkazoom!
God Hand

12 Likes

realizing i didn’t even think about katamari or ico before any of my 10 even tho they are definitely better than some games i picked, but neither have occupied as much of my memories as anything i picked. they are perfect moments of pure joy or beauty that i can and will play through in a single session whenever i return to them years apart, and because of that they only exist in those moments. all these other games bother me, are kind of a pain in the ass and i have to do several sessions of them over a period of time and so they attach to me

8 Likes

Silent Hill 2
Gran Turismo 4
Forbidden Siren
Rez
Katamari
Disaster Report
Sky Odyssey
Tokyo Extreme Racer 3
Road Trip
Metal Gear Solid 2

You could probably pack in a few long enjoyable years playing just these ten

17 Likes

it’s so easy to have just a straight down the pipe list. mgs, silent hill, katamari, smt3, dragon quarter, god hand, ueda. probably ffxii for me i think. maybe dqviii too, i’d have to get a list in front of me

12 Likes

I think I might like Silent Hill 4 more than 2

6 Likes

This is a tough one to do because so many games that would have been at the top of my list at the time have gotten amazing rereleases—Rez, the Katamaris, DMC3. My top PC/Switch games lists would be pretty heavy with PS2 ports.

4 Likes

FF XII - looks and sounds lush, great story and characters, fight Matsuno as the optional final boss (Yazmat)
Neo Contra
Gitaroo Man
Ibara, Espgaluda, Deus Ex, Half Life - still the only console ports
Colossus
Klonoa 2 - Nice little game, lovely 3D camera swoops in a 2D plane
God Hand
Silent Hill 2

Edit - I picked 11 so Klonoa 2 is an honourable mention

9 Likes

gran turismo 4
burnout 3
need for speed hot pursuit 2
need for speed underground
metal gear solid 2
skygunner
ico
shadow of the colossus
armored core 3
ace combat 4
crrrrrrrrrazy taxi

10 Likes

God Hand
Katamari Damacy
Rez
Gitaroo Man
Metal Gear Solid 2
Earth Defense Force 2
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Homura
Psyvariar 2
Way of the Samurai

10 Likes

This is hard because the PS2 has the best trash and I could just fill my list with slop and be satisfied. It has also been a long time since I’ve played anything on it. Instead, I’ll try to make something more meaningful.

Killer7
Disaster Report ( I still need to play Raw Danger)
Shadow of the Colossus (every time I hear someone criticize it, I love it more.)
Katamari Damacy
Jak II (I hated it at the time but loved playing it last summer)
Sky Odyssey
EverBlue (I played this for the thread and I always dream of beating it)
ChuLip
Way of the Samurai
Technic Beat

12 Likes