Xenoblade Chronicles: The Original, The Remake, The Legacy

i played the first few hours of this and i don’t viscerally hate it like the wii-u thing?

3 Likes

I’ve been enjoying the remastered OST. They updated a lot more than I thought they would. Has anyone played the new epilogue they added?

1 Like

For a second I misread “the wii-u thing” as “the Wu-tang” and thought to myself “that is an intense gaming opinion!”

6 Likes

that would be extremely fucked up

i got about 15 hours into this and my interest has flatlined
does it get any better?

1 Like

Dunno, I’m also about that far in and only mildly interested. Will probably keep picking away though.

I enjoy the game when I play it, but when I’m not playing I feel like I’d be fine if I never played it again.

1 Like

If you’ve made it to Gaur plains then i’d say you’ve experienced the meat the game offers. There are some really impressive environments later and some party members have more unique mechanics but you’ll mostly be getting more of a good thing as you go (if it is a good thing to begin with). I personally liked the ‘Lord of the Rings’-ness of the journey but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

i’m a fair way past that, got the sixth party member and ended up in a mandatory encounter which isn’t a boss but it’s like six or so mobs that are slightly higher level and i’m not sure i can figure out how to optimise combat any more than i already have or be bothered grinding

i may try controlling some of the other characters, playing with shulk has become pretty rote

Yeah Shulk is pretty basic. There’s definitely a grind point but I don’t think you’ve reached it yet. Maybe set it aside to return to unless exploring large environments is enough to pull you through. Grinding always translates into podcast time for me.

No one told me this was a hangout game

• Enormous irrelevent affinity chart showing relationships between NPCs that auto-updates as you speak to them
  • unnecessary jump button in a JRPG
  • no invisible wall to prevent you from jumping from a city to the lake 30m below and having to swim and run 3 minutes to backtrack to where you were
  • The ability to either zoom the hell out or zoom the hell in so much you enter first person mode; two opposite ways to put the focus on the great environments instead of the characters. I’m playing most of the game in 1st person and it’s pretty janky but it rules
  • very shallow battle system that’s little more than just a fancy level + equipment check

I can’t imagine this game on either the Wii or the 3ds

5 Likes

The scale of it was pretty crazy on the Wii. The control scheme was pretty horrible though on default wiimote, a right analog stick would’ve been nice.

Yeah I’m digging this game now.

is this game better than the sequel? because i dropped off of it pretty hard

The sequel is utter trash in my mind. Battle system is too convoluted in 2 and the map requires another map to be able to read it. Original Xenoblade Chronicles characters and plot are closer to classic JRPG tone and has a lot less pervy shit going on.

4 Likes

It was real weird seeing Xenoblade 2 simultaneously be a lot more horny and a lot more childish (I can’t imagine anyone over the age of 10 getting into that story)

It’s not that peculiar for modern anime, I guess, but you wouldn’t expect that from a direct sequel

4 Likes

Yeah I mean I’ve endured and enjoyed my share of pervy stuff. But XC2 had such a blatantly infantile approach to it and it was never really a hallmark of the series. XCX is so not horny by comparison.

1 Like

Best “it’s nighttime in the city” music in all of electronic games.

5 Likes

I made this statement when beginning the game and it got way worse. The importance of level in damage/accuracy formulas is ridiculous

Like it’s almost understandable that at level 5, level 3 enemies are total pushovers and level 10 enemies untouchable
Less understandable is that at level 35, level 33 enemies are total pushovers and level 40 enemies untouchable

The laziest way to balance a video game

4 Likes

I read somewhere that the colour each enemy is tagged with (none, blue, brown, yellow, red) not only indicates their level relative to you; the colour also indicates the stat buffs/debuffs you can expect them to have relative to you. So a yellow enemy is a few levels higher than you and also gets bonuses that stack the battle in its favour.

This is extremely MMO

1 Like