Xenoblade Chronicles: The Original, The Remake, The Legacy

New Japanese overview of the upcoming definitive edition:

I wasn’t interested in Xenoblade on the Wii, I wasn’t interested in any of the sequels, and I wasn’t interested when this remake was announced last year. But for some reason, my frothing demand for this game increases. I guess I think it looks hot now.
5 Likes

it looks nicely polished up in a lot of ways. though i am a little bummed the battle ui is still so… overly prominent on the screen. i had kind of hoped they’d at least reduce the size of the icons somewhat. still, this is the only xeno game i’ve liked after xenogears and i think anyone who’s feeling jrpgs right now should give it a shot.

1 Like

benren come back~~~

6 Likes

I kinda miss the ‘SDness’ of the original. New music is neat though. Hoping for a bark setting to increase the amount of shouting that happens during combat.

3 Likes

The original character models manage to convey absolute misery in a way I don’t think the new models can match:

11 Likes

yeah the new ones look more constipation than misery

1 Like

My only association with this game is that it’s that Wii RPG thing that looked kinda cool maybe but it was a GameStop exclusive, where it was always out of stock. And the second hand market was fuckin ridic.

2 Likes

The sequel with mechs was really damn good. A friend of mine bought the original based on me liking the X mech version, and he ended up violently angry with me over how bad he thought it was. I have never played it.

i do think my recommendation of it should come with some heavy caveats. there’s a lot about its presentation that’s really ugly and ‘anime’ in all the ways most of us on these forums will find to be extremely offputting. you really have to accept a lot that stuff to enjoy the beauty it also presents. understanding that, i do think some folks will enjoy it and hey, maybe just emulating it (perhaps upscaled and hacked to run at 60fps) in dolphin would be enough for most to get a feel for whether or not it’s a thing you wanna play.

Wonder how many of the voice actors they’ll need to replace in the English cast. For example as people have pointed out elsewhere no way are they getting Jenna Coleman to come back these days.

or actually…?

1 Like

Who doesn’t love ‘multitudinal points of interest?’
3 Likes

i played quite a bit of the 3ds version. it was pretty good and if you like jrpgs it really is a game for you.

never finished it. might buy it again tho. yikes.

3 Likes

Digital Foundry person says this definitive edition is not much of an upgrade, on paper, over Wii version. But I dunno, every time I see footage of the Switch version, it looks way more visually appealing to me than the Wii version.
1 Like

While the wii models were more unique and interesting, they feel really out of place in this ultra anime game now that the remaster is near

Unfortunate how the only Xenoblade game I’m interested in is the Wii U exclusive

1 Like

The narrator’s solemnity cracks me up, but boy do these environments look lovely.
1 Like

I played this for about 20 minutes last night in tabletop mode, and I guess the edges are a little soft. But the colours pop so nicely that I probably wouldn’t notice the low resolution if I wasn’t looking for it.

Anyhow, this feels like pure video game so far. Very nice.

2 Likes

I’m about 3 hours in now, and I’ve accepted something like 50 sidequests. They’re all simple fetch quests, which is hilarious in post-Witcher-3 2020.

But I don’t need to return to quest givers to complete these. I haven’t tracked a single quest, but as I explore and complete battles or pick up items, I frequently get quest-complete notifications along with experience and gold rewards. So breezy!

4 Likes

Damn, that might be the best improvement I’ve heard about so far.

2 Likes

The quest-complete notifications come with brief flavour text, so I’ll kill some bug on a beach outside of town, and the game’s like “you helped a Colony 9 resident manage her back pain.”

11 Likes