World of Uncanny Valley Chibi Caricatures (Final Fantasy)

Wait, what?

Why?

I mean: money, cheaper assets, indoctrinating the youth, world domination.

But…why?

The ratio between the lady’s giant head and her weirdly outlined proportional breasts is freaking me out.

Okay, so I guess it’s not just a 3DS game? That seems…ill advised.

I saw Chibi Cloud Strife and thought oh man what if the FFVII remake was actually done in that art style and the Advent Children style they’ve been showing was just a big MGS2-style ruse. That would be so badass.

Anyway, it’s not a bad concept and those videos do make it look kind of interesting. If I were a big fan of the franchise I would probably be very interested in it. I might still play it anyway at some point. It looks just different enough I think.

Like the slimes in DQ seem to have generated their own gaidens, I’d like that to happen for cactuars

I guess I just disagree with every aesthetic decision that Squenix makes. It’s not as if my reaction is, “Chibi Final Fantasy? That looks like a BABY game!” It’s more that I find all the non-SD designs uncanny valley as hell, and I find the SD designs too abstracted and cynical to be cute. Plus all the NPC in the Japanese trailer seem to have that Japanese preschool teacher cutesy tone mixed with fantasy maid blink-smiles, which also skeev me out ala some sort of gestural uncanny valley. So yeah, everything about the way the game looks makes me say, “No,” which is literally the exact line I used regarding the aesthetics of the FFVII remake gameplay trailer. So I guess Squenix is really bad at designing games for me.

FF is not the kind of series that can be easily abstracted out into all these best-of, fanservice-y things. it’s not dragon quest. I mean, I know that boat sailed a long time ago, but man. the whole thing about FF is that the games were self contained.

[quote=“BIGHEADMODE, post:2, topic:387”]
6)The chibi sprites are meant to appeal to non-Final Fantasy fans. (…)

7) That said, Chiba still wants this to appeal to old-school Final Fantasy players. (…)

8) Chiba tends to work on dark, gritty, mature games. This is not that. (…)
But at the same time, Final Fantasy games are known for their very heavy stories, (…)[/quote]
it’s not this, but not exactly that, and it wants to do this and also that.

Trainwreck-potential is already there, alas, depends on the execution of the director whole thing …

I don’t know that there’s enough at stake for a real trainwreck. Maybe I just don’t know fanboys, but I feel like if it’s bad it will be ignored/forgotten, and if it’s good people will say it’s “surprisingly deep” or whatever. It should really really be a 3DS exclusive though. Maybe Squenix has some data that most households with a PS4 have young children and women, but they have nothing targetted at them to play? Seems unlikely. I feel like console kiddie JRPG’s might be a genre that’s long been viable in Japan but nowhere else. I’m really just conjecturing based on the existence of Rhapsody.

they make it sound like they’re trying to cover all bases here, but given the track record of SQEX, uh … idk if they can do this…

agreed that the stakes of this thing seem probably even intentionally low. it might sound like it’s trying to get away with a lot but all it’s really doing is covering certain bases in the off chance somebody besides its decidedly not-final fantasy target audience happens to notice it exists.

not really sure how anyone could work up a feeling about this thing, honestly.

it’s one of the 300 branded mobile games you’ve never heard of but on console for the younger siblings of the people who only know of final fantasy characters from kingdom hearts.

It’s the kiddie game you make at the end of a console’s life cycle, but 5-8 years too early.

The chibi character designs are definitely a step back from the Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light and Bravely Default artstyle.

These are clearly at least half designed so the characters and expressions are readable on small screens (particularly in FF:4HoL which came out on the original DS and thus had a miserably low resolution) but I think it’s an appealing style in and of itself.

3 Likes

A jack of all trades is a master of none, it does seem like they’re trying to appeal to every possible demographic with this one. In their defense, Squenix - like all other older game franchises - has the unenviable task of pandering to their older fan base, while trying to bring in new fans. If they think the way to do this is by creating their own Pokemon division, then it’s just further evidence of the questionable direction Squenix is (has been) heading in.

hmmm in SQEX’es defense (and as nerdy a fanboy I am, I have to defend them at least once ), the recent art-style (see

[quote=“Tulpa, post:13, topic:387, full:true”]
[/quote]
) has been used “first” in FFCC, a game that has been received w/ mixed enthusiasm for a few years, until it somehow started to get some credit for what it did …

1 Like

After playing FF4HOL I was sold on the art style, my skepticism stems from whether they’ll create something aesthetically/mechanically coherent. 4HOL appealed to me because it was laser-focused on evoking the feel of playing a Famicom RPG, but I’m willing to give “World” a chance because Crystal Bearers was bonkers enough to keep me entertained.

1 Like

The regular vs chibi thing is too fanboy-y for me. It’s like. Really kind of a gross weird suckinguptoyourfanbase move that I just can’t get behind.

The way to do a good fanservice Final Fantasy spinoff mixing all the characters would be an adventure where you play as Cid and jump between the worlds of different final fantasies, Quantum Leap style

6 Likes

Is there a game that’s like a “Pantheon Designer”?

whoa

I would so play that