World of Uncanny Valley Chibi Caricatures (Final Fantasy)

And in each world you’d be the Cid of that particular Final Fantasy, except for the late game where after you had “discovered” all the worlds you could choose to play as any Cid you wanted while you went back before the final boss to go clear up side quests and stuff.

Chrono Trigger cameos.

Oh god: the Chrono Trigger cameos.

i’m playing this game right now and i think it’s cute. i understand everyone’s dismissive attitude toward the style, tbh i kinda wish they had interpreted this concept art:

into something that didn’t necessarily look like this:

however i am finding myself far more endeared toward the game than i thought i’d be and it’s enough to look past whatever apprehensions i had toward this style. i think it’s fine, it’s a means to an ends (that again, could’ve been a lot more cute) just to get a bunch of final fantasy characters in this game.

also one thing to note is that a lot of characters in this game are just really cute monsters-turned-“mirages” (aka final fantasy pokemon).

WoFF_Chocochick WoFF_Babyhemoth_Mirage_Manual

WoFF_Moogle_Mirage_Manual WoFF_Tonberry

i should mention the mirages/monsters have voice acting. this tonberry for instance speaks like a more gravelly eeyore and the first cactuar you meet has a prospector-y southern drawl. these descriptions are probably bad. someone else could absolutely do a better job than me.

anyways the game is fun and gives some additions to the default turn-based rpg fighting that are pretty neat. the big hook is “stacking” which could also be considered as your job class and/or materia system. each mirage that is a part of your “stack” (you only have two characters that can create stacks) adds to your ability pool.

if you have two mirages with ‘fire’, those similar skills stack to upgrade fire into ‘fira’.

elemental resistances stack as well, so you have to take into consideration what mirages you are putting together or else you could wind up giving yourself a negative resistance to certain elements.

you can also be more physical-based, and use mirages that make you more of a brawler-type of character. i’m not sure how it is as the game goes on but i have one of two characters with an iron claw that does a cool thing that can topple other enemy stacks better than the other attacks i have.

also enemies can stack too. i think i was gonna talk about this game but i just talked about stacks and not very well, either. basically this game feels like something that got dusted over and it’d be cool if other ppl would give it a chance. you can ride big finalfantasypokemons if you want. ok i’m done editing this post

4 Likes

it’s still rattling around in my head, the few minutes I saw this in a Square-Enix stream and the guy of the chipper stream-people pair exclaimed,

This is fan-service of the highest caliber!

3 Likes

i gotta clear my conscience… i haven’t played this game since i made that post… it feels like playing a ps2 hidden gem rpg which would be incredible if it were a ps2 hidden gem rpg but i also like… really wanna play ffxiv and yakuza 0 in this day and age…

it really is some top-tier fan-service though! maybe in a certain moment in the future i might be like “yea i’m feeling up to some world of final fantasy!”

1 Like

This also works as a perfect review of the art style, if not the game itself.

I completely forgot this game existed and kept thinking “why am I getting pinged for this random thread?”

Looking back, I could be into this if the art style were actually cute. But these chibis just suck. The whole art style is that of a good artist who tries to draw chibis but doesn’t know how much detail is needed/not needed.