Wonder Woman

You’re right it’s even dumber in its full detail

Yeah except they’re still the good guys and the peaceniks in parliament would have doomed the world to this horrible megaweapon and endless war. Only by shooting a few people - the right people - can all the shooting people be stopped.

1 Like

why would anyone put a character whose first story has her fighting nazis into a WW1 movie, if they had to put her in a war movie at all. what a baffling and awful decision. but that’s DC for you i guess!!

Why is it awful

Again I have to kind of question your understanding of like, the most basic details of the plot

The peace treaty was bad because Steve Trevor discovered that it would be violated immediately, and Ares was the one who wanted to push it forward

Not because peace… Is bad

Also “instead of trusting institutions we should allow extremely powerful individuals unilaterally enact vengeance because they are so powerful that they can’t help but be virtuous” is the theme of actually every superhero movie and they are almost all even more problematic than wonder woman

But I agree that Wonder Woman observes the slow but steady progress of colonial bureaucracy and international diplomacy will make for a cracking good sequel

if ares escapes at the end and wonder woman’s reasoning for wanting to help people was anything but chris pine this movie is instantly in contention for best superhero movie

this is the first superhero movie that my SO didn’t roll her eyes at so hard they fell out so that’s a victory I guess

I don’t like superhero movies

The real source of Diana’s modern day disillusionment is revealed to be her education re: the “good guys” colonial interests following the Treaty of Versailles.

Wonder Woman 2 is a really tone deaf remake of Battle for Algiers

There are 70+ years of Wonder Woman history and a million war movies, so for one it’s just a boring as hell way for the character to make her feature film debut. Also it’s not a war she’s even historically associated with!! Also also, all war fucking sucks (and i dislike media that says, “but maybe it can be cool and good, sometimes, a little??”) but of all of them, WW1 is really down there in terms of being depressing and horrible and just a huge awful waste of life, and not something that makes for a rah-rah superhero movie.

There is a good Wonder Woman movie floating out there, somewhere, in the miasma of human thought and i am just super bummed that this was not it.

There actually aren’t that many wwI movies though

so what

1 Like

I am sort-of glad all the WWI survivors died before this came out because I’m pretty sure that it would disgust and appall anyone who actually had to endure trench warfare. Anyone who knows the history should feel that way.

The idea that WW’s big plan to Stop War is to bravely take her invulnerable ass over the top to slaughter all those German boys who are equally as clueless as the English as to why they are even there fighting, is insanely tone deaf and completely misses the point of why WWI was Bad. And this is supposed to be the best and most inspiring scene in the film!

But this is a movie where WWI Germany = Nazis, so that gives you an idea of where the filmmaker’s understanding of history is at

I’m kind of sad no wwI vets lived to play Battlefield One though

But I know what you mean, what with how vehemently gulf war vets responded to how Iron Man trivialized that war

Lol, how many US soldiers died in the Gulf War?

Just realized Wonder Woman and World War have the same initials. wheeewww

A hilarious amount, apparently. Also no one else who is allowed to watch movies died in that war either

…it didn’t celebrate WWI though. Like Wonder Woman was naive enough to think her run through No Man’s Land would be enough to save that village. And it did! For a day. Then they all died anyway. Such are the horrors of war.

So I’m thinking you’re interpreting the movie wildly off the mark, there. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, I understand that the writers concocted this nonsense plot in order to make it morally true in the universe of the movie that the cowardly Chamberlains were all misled and the real way to end war is to kill the correct bad people.

Of course, the cowardly Chamberlains are also sexist! It takes a Real Woman to fight a Real War the Real Way! Who is it that links humanitarian war interventionism with anti-ism-ism? Could it be… liberal hawks??? Like all the diehard establishment Dem voters in Hollywood? This is just a crazy theory.

“We can do nothing… or we can do something” is literally the moral insight that gave us Iraq, Libya, and Syria. It’s also literally a line that moral exemplar Captain Kirk says in the movie to IDF hottie Diana Notalesbian.

Captain America is a US Army soldier, in the movies.

Anyway, most superhero movies star overpowered freaks fighting other overpowered freaks. Suspension of disbelief is easier there. Wonder Woman chose to put itself into a real historical conflict about which the basic understanding is specifically that it was the first industrial war that put millions of men into a pointless meat grinder for the gloating satisfaction of landed elites and that it was completely unwinnable because there were no explicable victory conditions. To make the audience cheer when the Woke Bad Bitch goes over the top to finally slaughter those nasty Jerries as a triumph of both Anglo war moralism and of feminism makes me ill.

If you mean that Wonder Woman is less problematic than other DC and/or Zack Snyder movies, well that’s true because those espouse actual fascism. But most of the Marvel movies I can think of off the top of my head are politically inoffensive if mostly bland. I mean at least the latest Avengers movie (I think?) had the decency to have “jesus christ all these people keep dying and you idiots are totally unsupervised” be a major plot point that actually divided the cast.

2 Likes

He’s a us soldier in the first one, but the plot of the second one is about how the government is literally an evil nazi death cult who wants to use law enforcement as an excuse to murder everyone

And the hand wringing in avengers 2 and civil war is a plot point, but you’re still expected to sympathize with those characters even though they’re responsible for the deaths of thousands

You’re being incredibly disingenuous to claim that only one of these politically awkward power fantasies makes you ill if those things don’t, it’s exactly the same thing

superhero movies shouldnt be about real-ass things that happened to people in history anymore. imo

they never should have been ._.

1 Like

i kinda wont brook another super hero movie unless its Squirrel Girl w/ ppl who actually made the comics in an advisory role