Wonder Woman

Somebody give me the rundown on this, because I haven’t been following.

It was not okay, it was barely competent at best. The Mummy was better.

The most offensive part of the comments this split off from was TMKF saying Logan was Okay and comparing it to WW.

Logan was goddamn fantastic.

1 Like

Wait the mummy was good???

IMHO!!!

1 Like

I’m sorry vikram that can’t possibly be true.

I feel like Wonder Woman is getting a pass because it had a mild sense of humor and it’s such a relief relative to the horrible oppressive grimness of the other DC movies but, honestly, actually, it is not good. Its big twist is that it stars the most sickly-looking character actor in the world as a Gokuesque literal god of war flying around and pummeling people. Like who thought

1 Like

it’s true, it’s DAMN true. if having “a mild sense of humor and a relief relative to horrible oppressive grimness” is the benchmark for 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, then The Mummy should be the first film to get 300%. it’s nothing but fun.

fact: David Thewlis as Goku was the best part of the movie. I liked to pretend that it was actually his character in Fargo flying around the sky hurling thunderbolts.

well, almost everyone agreed that the end was bad. I think the positive reactions are more to everything before that.

this is very intriguing to me because all the trailers make it look like a dour mess! I think, best case scenario, is that it’s Mission Impossible: Curse of the Sexy Mummy… which would be good I guess. Anyway, I look forward to watching this on an airplane now!

oh totally! the funny thing is I think the lack of that dour, depressing mood shown in the trailers created a sort of cognitive dissonance in the general public. I saw a lot of criticism along the lines of ‘what’s all this COMEDY doing in here?? what happened??’

it’s more like a Saturday afternoon adventure cartoon. there is a lot of grey area in terms of morality… there aren’t really any heroes. even the villain is justified in her rage. Russell Crowe is Jekyll/Hyde, but it’s not clear which one of them is worse. it’s great!

one of the parts I appreciated the most is that it was only 2 hours long. in the current climate where a horribly dragging 2 1/2 hours is the norm for these big budget blockbuster movies (Wonder Woman I am looking at YOU), I couldn’t believe The Mummy ended when it did.

1 Like

Was there a part where Steve Rogers called his friends and said “Hey I totally made it with an Amazonian woman!” When did she get a sword and shield? I wanted to see it, but then my want quickly faded. Who played Hitler?

it’s set during ww 1, but basically danny huston

It would have made more sense if she was vs. nazis

1 Like

You mean like the part where they’re on superfeminist neolib island but don’t show a single romantic relationship

Or maybe it’s the part where apparently a single bullet can kill an Amazon but maybe not WW cause she’s like a god or whatever but anyway she blocks bullets from like a whole platoon of dudes shooting at her with a shield with a 2 foot diameter and none of them ever hit her goddamn shins

Or is it the part where signing peace in the most deadly war of all time is the bad thing???

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go to the mat for WW, but I liked the first half well enough and didn’t want to kill myself like I usually o uing a superhero movie.

I didn’t see the pro interventionist themes that Chapo pointed out, because it all seemed pretty meaningless to me.

They do, just that she has armoured boots and they glance off them too. It’s hard to tell with all the other bullets and churning dust. Also is a god, yes.

The peace deal was designed to fail, or at least be unpalatable to the duder in charge of Dr. Poison so he would go off and try to break the armistice with her gas bombs in a bid to continue the war.

1 Like

Yea

Good lord her bare-skin outfit is embarassing in 2017.

The only people that wore outfits like that in history were the people that lost.

I mean I get that this is the big bad’s super clever plan but the whole point is that the entire High Command is like “We want peace” and Our Heroes are like “You idiots don’t you see??? There will never be peace unless we kill more bad guys!!!” and we’re supposed to go YEAH

i’m pretty sure the whole point of the movie was for ww to learn that killing the top bad guy won’t just magically make everyone nice again, because people are evil for complicated reasons not just because they are under the spell of a war god.

but then iirc they threw in a scene after she kills ares where all the people on the base are hugging or something and it kind of ruins it? maybe? idk?

but also, like, welcome to super hero movies i guess

“We have reason to believe Dr Poison has found a new gas even worse than chlorine and the dude in charge of her research is about to use this in a surprise attack, here is her book detailing everything I just said.”
“Well we don’t have anyone available to decipher the language right now.”
“This foreign woman can, here let her show you.”
“A WOMAN?! WE CAN’T TAKE HER SERIOUSLY.”
“Seriously?”
“So no, we don’t believe you. In fact our top men are busy arguing over a peace agreement. SURELY nobody on their side is disgruntled enough to jeopardize the end of this great war. And you would be wise not to do the same.”

I’m paraphrasing substantially but you get my point.