Wolfenstein

This is nice artwork. I guess they’re going with Lovecraftian shenanigans for this comic.

The occult stuff is the weakest part of this new series so far so I can’t say that I mind that it’s currently relegated to tie-in stuff. That said the second half of The Old Blood is still rock solid from a gameplay perspective as well as tonally so I can’t complain too much, even though the first part is the highlight for me.

1 Like

TWIN PEAKS may have been the main event this year, but this will make a fine after party

3 Likes

I am so, so excited to mow down nazis in the streets of america

I’m way more in touch with dumb male violent fantasy than ever before

there’s kind of no way this won’t be my favourite game of the year at this point

3 Likes

think I might have to pay actual money for it. especially since dishonored expansion is taking so long to crack

7 Likes

I just started playing the first game. I just started the mission about finding the special tech helicopters. Stealth is kinda fun to play here in what is clearly and action shooter though I’ve had a few moments where I do a kill with the silenced pistol it will still trigger an alarm. The set pieces are pretty good so far. Kinda hate how my loadouts keep getting metroided away between missions. The perk for getting 5 knife throw kills seems like it would be easy enough but by the time I find an extra knife in a mission it’s at a point when stealth is a difficult option. I really dig the little things it has you do to feel like you’re part of the story but I haven’t tried to Hinge Problem it yet because it’s felt compelling enough to not do so.

2 Likes

artist pictured:

4 Likes

they should put that on the back of the box, next to a picture of a nazi corpse

1 Like

like they probably didn’t have to change much of their advertising campaign, and yet it somehow still feels more gutsy than like…almost every other major media news outlet reporting on politics??

4 Likes

Honestly I would be more interested in this if it actually was a hysterical leftist power fantasy

What would that even look like

I’m picturing like sim city but with gulags

2 Likes

“Wolfenstein has been a decidedly anti-Nazi series since the first release more than 20 years ago. We aren’t going to shy away from what the game is about. We don’t feel it’s a reach for us to say Nazis are bad and un-American, and we’re not worried about being on the right side of history here.”

GAF has some funny gifs:
http://i.imgur.com/BJTyAFK.gif

5 Likes

they’re not leaving out typical chickenshit videogame pr speak entirely

games aren’t art

2 Likes

that’s just bethesda, though. does machinegames produce their own promotional content? what would they have to say about all this? way more interested in how the actual developers feel, and everything i’ve seen so far tells me their hearts are in it.

of course, either way, even if machinegames copped out, too, i don’t think it would change much concerning how we feel about it…

still, i never thought the PR guys from the company who released Skyrim, despite language that is trying to cover their own asses, would be more articulate about hating Nazis and being ashamed that they’re marching in public, than every major news channel and mainstream publication in America combined

4 Likes

Sid Meier’s Oblast 3000

1 Like

Eh, the whole controversy is overblown. I think people read too much into it, just like your average leftist is delirious about Nazi takeover in US (just like any bert thinks that one step just a bit left is a guaranteed road to communism).

so what you’re saying is…

both sides have extremes.

hmmm. i never seen that kind of argument before, i’ll take that into account

11 Likes

What’s curious about Wolfenstein is that it started controversial, got innocuous, and now came back full circle. Wolfenstein (well, moreso Doom, but with Wolfenstein as a slightly obscure precursor) was a part of the 90s debate about violence in videogames that was spoken out against by Hillary Clinton and arbitrarily connected to Columbine by the media.

The choice of Nazis was always more as a morally acceptable target for ultraviolence for its own sake rather than any real anti-Nazi animus. It raised the question then, as it does now, as to whether it’s truly OK to indulge in fantasies of violence even against the most deserving targets.

1 Like