Wolfenstein

man, seriously, bump the difficulty up to hard. it forces you to do both and the way the stealth and action seamlessly blend together is great. plus there are some firefights that are GOAT-status on hard that are a shoulder-shrug on medium. The gist is that on hard, the amplified enemy damage and aggressiveness forces a lot more mobility and all of a sudden cover fire and space control using explosives becomes a necessity, and the stealth will only get you so far as obtaining a better entry-point to a conflict. it opens up the game tactically.

on medium, the approach feels like a choice: do i want to stealth this? cover-shoot? guns-ablaze? on hard you have to utilize all three, fluidly within a single conflict. the game doesn’t always work this well, but there are at least a couple conflicts per chapter that nail it.

2 Likes

3 Likes

very much so

though I got stuck for an hour at the end of the catacombs level when they throw armored soldier after armored soldier at you; I ran dry on ammo several times in that fight. I should go for it again now that I have a compy that can sustain 60fps

Yeah, there are two skirmishes like that nearly in a row where you can’t do stealth kills – the enemies are armored – but you have to stealth around to cut out grates before engaging so you can play cat and mouse with enemies, hitting them with the LKW until it’s dry, sliding into a shaft, then frantically recharging and repeating. It was very tense and completely ruled.

One caveat is that the final boss encounter is complete fucking bullshit on anything higher than medium, and generally sucks regardless of the difficulty level. It’s a very arbitrary difficulty spike that subverts a lot of what makes the game good.

Started playing the new order this week mainly based on the strength of the new colossus trailer and I’m really enjoying it. I don’t have a ton to add other than that I really like starting most levels with just a knife or knife + laser. Like, the way weapon choices are constrained and gradually ramp up over a level to some big confrontation (nautica and catacomb levels are good examples imo) is nice. And the levels are a pretty comfortable length, which imo works well with the above to produce kind of a fun natural rhythm to the whole experience. My only gripe is that changing weapons with the wheel thing is cumbersome so it makes it stressful to go from like silenced pistol + laser to auto + shotgun when I inevitably fuck up being stealthy.

3 Likes

I went been to the first neufenstein on hard on dongle’s recommendation and it’s still not quite doing it for me, idk – id tech 5 is that much uglier than 6, the stealth+shooting isn’t consistently interesting to me, I actually love the tone of the storytelling which most people seem to be ambivalent about, but there’s not enough of it to keep me going.

Try the old blood then

what’s the consensus on the old blood? never heard all that much about it on release

It’s fucking depressing.

So it’s good.

just beat The New Order, yeah the last boss is fucking bullshit but i enjoyed it overall. the story is like a best case scenario Wolfenstein Tv show.

i don’t mind playing it on medium, works better for the power fantasy character if BJ effortlessly cuts down Nazi scum like they’re your neighboors’ hedges.

There is a way to cheese the final boss in New Order. You can just post up underneath a stairwell in the back corner of the room and there’s a 90%+ chance he won’t be able to touch you so you can just sit there and unload on him with everything you’ve got. Hope you brought a lot of ammo.

Regarding stealth in this game I was just thinking about it more and the only thing I can say is that it’s one of the few games with a quick-save option that I’ve played where I don’t immediately reload my game if my cover is blown. I still predominately tried to sneak around.

Wasn’t nuts about Old Blood. I’d say it’s not really worth the time.

It’s more nazi-shooting, but with none of the story or set pieces that made New Age intense. If you’re looking for some dumb action, it’ll definitely do, but don’t expect anything deeper.

Yeah after the prison break part, it’s nothing that interesting

1 Like

I don’t think there was anything in new order I liked as much as the part with the bum crying about how the wolves are coming and then the big shootout in the barricaded tavern right after. and the shootout on the bridge right before then. I just liked the shootouts more in this one, but I don’t like to analyze or care about the mechanical shit in games so I couldn’t tell you why exactly, sorry. and you can save some nice gay lady and most important you get a sawn off double barrel, they don’t got that in new order. and the ending is really great. the monster never dies, just sheds it’s skin and changes form.

You get a double-barrel shotgun in New Order, but only briefly (in the asylum and then later when you fall into the sewers during some maintenance errands).

ECWolf is an advanced source port for Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny, and Super 3D Noah’s Ark based off of the Wolf4SDL code base. ECWolf pulls a substantial amount of code from ZDoom and aims to provide a wide array of mod editing capabilities without the need to modify the source code. Most importantly you will no longer need to replace entire data sets. With ECWolf you could for example add a weapon without needing to distribute every sprite in the game along with it. Mods will be neatly packaged into a single file just like they are for Doom.

For players, ECWolf provides many useful features such as better control binding, support for wide screen resolutions, and unlimited save slots. ECWolf allows you to keep all of your game data in one directory as one binary plays all supported games. Support for even more Wolfenstein engine games is planned for the future! (I know you’re all waiting for Blake Stone support.) In terms of accuracy to vanilla Wolf, it is about the same as the accuracy of ZDoom to vanilla Doom.

Wisdom Tree has graciously offered to support ECWolf by using the engine to update their game, Super 3D Noah’s Ark for modern systems. The release is handled by this developer and a majority of the profits go to ECWolf. Buying a copy is an excellent way to support this project. If purchased through itch.io, all proceeds go to ECWolf and you still get a Steam key!

1 Like

This is like when u learn Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were friends

1 Like