Wolfenstein

1 Like

So you do want to kick some people out, then

it’s historically inaccurate for The Witcher to be all white ppl tho

Austrian elections just happened and everything went a little further right. Or, not just a little, a lot. Now we’re going to have our own 31 year old Orban at the helm of the state and it sucks. Will probably have an “ex” (haha) neo-nazi as a vice chancellor, to top it all off. I need this new nazi shooter pretty badly, everyone

1 Like

Black people are not a modern globalist american conspiracy, they existed in medieval times and in poland.

Nobody said wolfenstein was anything to do with “doing anything about nazis” you were calling antifa “larpers” and implying they were “just as bad” as the nazi “larpers.” dumb.

3 Likes

<3 dude with M16 and M92 in WW2 Nazi game

Oh hey there’s an Uzi slung there too

it’s also “historically inaccurate” for poland to currently be at near-japanese levels of ethnic homogeneity, they’re just a particularly problematic example for obvious reasons

arguably it’s most worth having this conversation around a polish developer specifically for this reason

Poles would bristle at what you’re implying there, which they hear all the time, and rightly so. It wasn’t possible for any country in occupied Europe to fully escape the Nazi moral taint, but Poland is very low on the list of countries that deserve shade. They fought harder against the Nazis than anybody at first, and after that their country was in a state of more total subjugation than any other occupied country has ever been before or since. It was turned more into a sandbox where Nazis could do as they pleased rather than a functioning state where Poles could exercise any kind of moral discretion. Sheltering Jews meant immediate execution for your entire family in Poland.

I recommend reading Timothy Snyder if you’re interested in this question (Bloodlands, or the more concise Black Earth).

2 Likes

you misunderstand! I wrote that in full acknowledgment of them not bearing the responsibility for that, but nevertheless having recently elected a super-reactionary right-wing government and needing to at least symbolically reject the revisionism being put forth (enabled by their last eighty years of bad times) wherever possible.

they’re constantly having their history stolen from them, in effect

also w/r/t the invasion of poland this twitter account started over a couple months ago after having run for its original six years and it’s real good

https://twitter.com/realtimewwii?lang=en

1 Like

I guess you’re referring to the live debate about the Polish WWII museum. I think that’s kind of a common pattern of debate, although in many countries it’s not as visible basically because the right-wingers have already won and mostly buried the inconvenient history.

In Japan the atomic bomb museum has become a flashpoint because of one exhibit added in the 90s describing Japan’s war of aggression and Hiroshima’s role in supporting it. It’s valuable context to the rest of the exhibits which naturally tend to present the city as a victim. The nationalists really want this exhibit gone but the mayor of Hiroshima has held firm.

Anyway, never once in all those years have I ever heard somebody suggest that the Japanese videogame industry should be engaging in the WWII-crimes debate. But Poland’s de facto national videogame developer by virtue of being the only successful one somehow does come up in the same context. It’s weird.

honestly I wasn’t even really driving at the holocaust, more general PiS (I love that their fascist-affecting “law and justice” party acronym sounds like piss in english) revisionism and how it might be incrementally countered by e.g. black people in the witcher

japan, comparatively (though I’m not sure there’s really a basis for comparison here as I stress I was not directly talking about WWII) is not really experiencing an extreme backward lurch right now, whatever low expectations I might have for their games’ storytelling

2 Likes

I just got to the wrecked bridge chapter of The New Order and it’s pretty much an FPS version of Disaster Report, it’s perfect.

I’ll do it

boku no manchukuo monogatari magic academy tsu

2 Likes

actually you know what would be pretty good, a naughty dog adaptation of captain corelli’s mandolin

1 Like

Total War: Homage to Catalonia
Call of Duty: Lydda
Sid Meier’s Opium!

7 Likes

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck