Wizardry General Topic

thread for Wizardry and spinoffs, and stuff directly inspired by Wizardry

Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (Japan) (En,Ja) (NP)012

11 Likes

I mostly just wanted a topic to share screenshots without filling up mauve’s LP thread from several years ago

Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (Japan) (En,Ja) (NP)011
Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (Japan) (En,Ja) (NP)009

15 Likes

these spell names are shit posts

Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (Japan) (En,Ja) (NP)013

18 Likes

Dumadumadumapic

3 Likes

look, I already told you, I’m out of level 2 spells, I can’t cast “dildo” anymore. I – look – fuck it, I’m going back to the tavern to find a tank who isn’t 12 years old

8 Likes

Dumapic? But we just met, ya dilto.

4 Likes

videogame thing i think about a lot

19 Likes

If I wanted to play a Wizardry, which should I play

SNES version? I have the translated rom! I think I’m going to play Wizardry!

1 Like

this is the SFC version of the first three games, there are english options for most text except help menu stuff

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t60rQif_uUg9Uf0d9Thf2EwzCDTTx9u_/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

imo, 6, any of the versions are interesting

4 Likes

I really really suck at this.

16 Likes

i think ill play one of these someday

1 Like

If I recall correctly one of the creators, Robert Woodhead, considered the NES version of Wizardry a good port. My recommendation for a first Wizardry is any of them but 2 through 4. The first one is a good place to start. 6 through 8 are quite a bit more modern and form a trilogy of sorts, but you don’t need to play them sequentially. 6 is EGA graphics, 7 VGA, and 8 is a relatively modern Windows game.

5-7 were all designed by DW Bradley and not the original designers. 5 is kind of a standalone title though and has more in common with the first three than the 6-8 trilogy. After leaving Sir Tech, DW Bradley developed a spiritual sequel to 7 called Wizards and Warriors that I posted about here. 8 is a more modern, 3D take on 7 and is a fantastic game despite DW Bradley’s absence.

Grimoire is another spiritual sequel to 7 developed by a guy who supposedly worked on a failed, early version of 7. The creator has a bit of a… reputation, but he finally did release Grimoire after 20+ years of development. The indiegogo pitch for Grimoire is bonkers and gives you a good idea of what to expect. I haven’t played it yet, but it does seem to be a legit Wizardry game in the mold of 7.

My favorite of the Japanese Wizardry clones that I’ve played is The Dark Spire on the DS. It is in the style of an early Wizardry and is fantastic but old school. The Elminage series also seems cool, but only Elminage: Original has been translated to English. Then there’s Etrian Odyssey, which is better known but also pretty good. Most of the other Wizardy clones from japan are mediocre from my experience. I hear Tales of the Forsaken Land on PS2 is good but I haven’t played enough to confirm. The Wizardrys available on PS3 digitally are bad.

I like Wizardry.

EDIT: the early SMT games are also japanese Wizardry clones and are good.

13 Likes

it is suggested to play the translated SNES version because the NES version is bugged in a way that isn’t ideal (AC is never calculated for your party)

or use this hack: Romhacking.net - Hacks - Wizardry - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord AC fix

2 Likes

your post was good but just want to emphasize that this guy is a nazi conspiracy theorist wackjob and i highly discourage anyone from giving him money no matter how funny the idea of it is

5 Likes

I had no idea about the AC bug. Nice to know! I wish I can remember where I heard Robert Woodhead talk about the NES port. It may have been the Retronauts interview with him.

Grimoire – the game itself – is intriguing but there are already two massive games with the DNA of Wiz 7 and both are fantastic. So yeah, maybe play either Wizards and Warriors or Wiz 8 instead.

I need to revisit Wizardry 8 again sometime soon. It has turn-based combat in a 3d world kind of like both Wizards and Warriors and Might and Magic 6-8, but the neat thing is that you can accurately target AoE spells by moving a “pole” around with the area of effect visible. I don’t know of any other first person games that do this.

2 Likes

I’d also add that they’re a different breed of Wizardry from the previous ones, the devs were much more interested in changing the formula than any wizardry clone.

1 Like

@Mikey

Wizardry I-II-III - Story of Llylgamyn (Japan) (En,Ja) (NP)030

9 Likes