Wiki admin, feature requests, etc.

Hi, feel free to make sugestions pertaining to wiki features, functions, organisation and other such things here.

Realised today that I can actually add plugins to the wiki, so me anā€™ drobe setup a sidebar navigation thing~

Recommended Playing has been very valuable for me as someone on the younger end of SBā€™s age distribution. Can we port over what exists to the new format?

Edit: wait, the wiki is staying in the same place? Cool.

Oh yep, thereā€™s no new wiki or anything!, just playing ound with the old one a little.

Without the recs section no one would probably visit it, so donā€™t worry about that ever going missing!

What do you guys think about spinning off the SB Reccommends Section from the wiki and giving it its own link on the frontpage (or whatever equivalent)?

I think that our taste and historical knowledge is a HUGE selling point of the community, and I think a section dedicated just to that could be something that new users click on first or that other sites link to.

Thoughts?

When I first showed up in 2011 I was under the impression that the podcast was the marquee feature because it was basically the only thing on the front page. Recommends and the mega threads for other media were a good way to ā€œlearnā€ the dynamics and tastes of the community. It doesnā€™t need to be fancy, but your suggestion certainly reflects my experience.

(I am a chronic lurker though, so that may reflect poorly on this method of assimilation.)

1 Like

Yeah, the podcast was sort of intended as a marquee feature, but Iā€™m not sure how big the listenership is or anything. I have the impression that the consistency of release has majorly dropped. Though there have definitely been people who popped up and said that they found the forum through it. Itā€™s a lot of work to keep running consistently, so Iā€™m trying to think of other ways to foreground what makes the community special that donā€™t require constant update/effort.

To be clear, I think Recommends is good enough to be marquee, or at least its own navigation option. The podcast might be too beautiful for this world as long as few among us are skilled audio engineers.

Oh, actually, the audio engineering has always been in great standing as far as I know! bcoma is a professional in that department and always edits them efficiently. I think itā€™s just hard to wrangle everyone on a topic, etc. Iā€™m just speaking on what Iā€™ve heard others say, though. Iā€™m never involved in the podcast.

As a passive consumer of the podcast, it seems like itā€™s at the cusp of being too much work for a volunteer effort, or the kind of thing that someone really needs to get compensated for to keep sustainable. Bcoma is excellent for doing it pro bono, of course, no question about it.

@doolittle

This is helpful stuff, thanks!

@BIGHEADMODE

I think highlighting the recs section o nthe frontpage is a good idea. A couple of times Iā€™ve even come across not-SB people whoā€™ve used it.

Ugu, thereā€™s still a ā€˜Consider replying to several posts at onceā€™ popup.

Yeah, itā€™s my intention to keep the podcast going, itā€™s just harder for me to organize that personally and my availability sucks for participating.

Wall of Beef has been a great help in the editing department during the last 15 or so episodes, as Deets was before him.

I want to see where we land on this forum migration stuff, because if this ends up being the forum, and this modernization is (partly) about pulling some more likeminded people into the fray, then the extra effort to produce podcast episodes more consistently makes it more worth my time (not that it isnā€™t fun when we get the right group for a topic).

Iā€™ll admit that part of the current hiatus stems from my disappointment of trying to get together an April Fools thing last year and getting a lot of feedback about how it was going to be lousy before we even tried to record anything, since I was the one putting it together. I still have the segment Felix and I made sitting on my desktop, which is marvelous, staring me down every time I log in to my Windows machine (bless you Felix for diving into that). After watching something on TV recently I have a great idea for what the framing device should be for the whole thing, supposing people wanted to give it another go.

3 Likes

Bcoma, I will gladly be on a podcast if you need me.

EDIT: YOU HAVE MY BOW

Changed the wikiā€™s coloursheme to look more like the forum.

Let me know if you shot anything off. Because there are a bunch of badly labeled options (and using the inspector doesnā€™t help), and things that didnā€™t seem to show up I just made red.

I still wander if it is even possible to do a parody of youtube gamer accounfs. Brock linked me to The Crap Gamer who cancelled their preorder for some xbox game because it was also coming to PC and they were clearly an adult. So I guess I know my answer.

Stuck up a new logo to match the new colourscheme. Let me know what you think, because I think my laptop monitors a bit dull, and this other one I use is yellowy and too contrasty.

http://wiki.selectbutton.net/titlescreen

http://wiki.selectbutton.net/wiki:playground

Changed the recs. section a little

'Cause I think it makes more sense now itā€™s big? Mobile in particular was a bit lost in there.

Could potentially do a handhelds section under ā€˜kindā€™ too if that sounds useful to people.

3 Likes

I was gonna update the PS4/3DS etc page and clean up/close out the PS360 pages and then remembered last time I tried my account went bad so felix made a new one. The wiki might be dead :cryingpig:

I have no trouble editing the wiki. Have you tried again?

I wanna write a bunch of recommendations for the wiki, but every time I try to make an account I get a 504 Gateway Time-out?!