Wii U Post-Mortem

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a disappointment. There’s no real twist to it. Maybe if you’re really into…like…modern pop idols it’ll float your boat but it’s played way too straight for my tastes. Love the menus, dug the color, think I liked the character animations? Everything else was a snooze. A game where you’re a celebrity going to convenience stores would have been way more interesting. Someone should make that kinda game someday. As it is…just play Persona. Its dungeons don’t have as much busy work and the music’s better.

Hyrule Warriors is secretly good and I know @notbov will back me up on this. That game got me through some rough times. The characters all play differently, it’s got a nice crunchy feel cuz it’s not (entirely) by Omega Force, and it’s more about map control than plowing through grunts, so it’s the best Musou. I know that sounds like faint praise, but I’d maybe put it in my top 10 of the first half of this decade.

That may sound insane but the first half of this decade fuckin’ blew. This last year has had more great games than the first half of the decade did.

Mario Makers is the #1 game of the this decade though. It will hopefully get a Switch port soon. All my levels are good. I recommend playing them. Also I see I passed 420 stars. Thank you to all the select butts who gave me stars, and pushed me over the top. Let’s get me up to 666 next.

Captain Toad is good. I loved 3D World like crazy. Splatoon is the best online shooter of the decade and I’ll fight anyone who disagrees. Bayonetta 2 was better than the original; its highs aren’t as high but its lows aren’t nearly as low, or as frequent. Fuck those Sega tribute stages and all those giant boss fights. Mario Kart is great, but you need it in 200cc and I’m not sure you can do that online on Wii U. Smash 4 was a very good time but the lack of region filter killed the online for me cuz it kept pairing me with Germans and that shit was laggy as fuck. Breath of the Wild is a seriously brilliant game but heck you can play that on Switch. Buy a Switch and add me. I posted my “friend code” to the Switch thread like 4 times.

Tank Tank Tank Tank Tank was a big disappointment to me. I am glad it came along in 2012, when I was a bit older and wiser, than in 200x, when it probably woulda been praised on the IC main page. My dumb ass woulda bought it then. My dumb ass would still be holding a grudge against whomever recommended it.

Really the Wii U had the only games worth paying big bucks for but the hardware was a fuckin’ nightmare and I hope every big game gets ported to Switch. I’ll buy them all again, cuz I bet soon I’ll be super rich and able to buy such things.

4 Likes

Miiverse ending tonight. It sure was… an idea at least.

1 Like

My favorite memory of Miiverse was having to log in weekly to get 30 platinum coins as the only way to get the Zelda picross game was to have a thousand of those.

i do hope all those mysterious 3ds/wii u picross games get dumped somewhere safe.

1 Like

Man the only reason to own one at this point is now Mario Maker and hacking it for 1080p Gamecube games.

2 Likes

Actually, what is even left for them to port? Hmmm let’s see…

• Mario Maker
  • Super Mario World 3D
  • Wonderful 101
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions (the Persona x Fire Emblem JRPG)
  • Pikmin 3
  • Fatal Frame 5

maybe?

• New Super Mario/Luigi Bros. U
  • Paper Mario Colour Splash
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Pushmo World
  • Affordable Space Adventures

If you really don’t want to keep a 3DS around

• 2 Mario vs DKs feat. Minis
  • Yoshi Woolly World
  • Mighty Switch Force 2
  • Monster Hunter 3 U
  • NES Remix 1+2 (some exclusive games though compared to the 3DS compilation)

lol

• Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD
  • Dr Luigi
  • Devil’s Third
  • Sonic Boom
  • Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

rip

• Game & Wario
  • Nintendoland
  • Kirby Rainbow Curse
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Star Fox Guard

There’s also a couple of somewhat notable mobile games that which were otherwise only also ported to Wii U like Blek.

They’ve certainly cleaned out otherwise

2 Likes

I hope the price completely bottoms out now, I want a <$50 mario maker/botw machine.

1 Like

It is interesting to think it is a two part console. They never sold the gamepads sperately so if it breaks that is one less wii U in the world. That thought oddly is the one thing making me want to hold on to mine.

What a stupid console.

Pretty sure that’s already on 3DS

The 3DS DQ7 port on Switch would be p cool

Wait, Wikipedia lied to me?

Okay looked it up and turns out that the 3DS version is a sort of “Best of” compilation of the two Wii U game and omits the more obscure picks like Clu Clu Land, Ice Climber, Golf and Wario’s Woods. Kind of sort of counts then.

Wait what the fuck? That’s so stupid. i bet those things break all the time too, for a Nintendo peripheral they feel really flimsy.

they weren’t sold in stores separately but you can probably just bug Nintendo and they’ll sell you one

p sure the only game you really miss out on with no Gamepad is Splatoon now that everything else worth playing is getting ported, and, well, Splatoon is emulated pretty well, so

i mean, splatoon 2 exists

the biggest casualty is nintendoland, which is possibly in my top 10 all time?

xeno x and pikmin 3 both suffer without the second screen, but it isnt essential so wevs

1 Like

I really can’t believe they haven’t replicated the dual-screen functionality with the Switch.

So they probably will with the Switch+/pro whatever

Mario Maker as well, that would be miserable with a controller only.

I can! It was such a bad idea!!!

The last thing I want from the Wii U is to be able to play GameCube games on the gamepad. You can hack it and play GC games but the gamepad only works as a screen, not a controller due to the way that the vWii is sandboxed. I just want semi-portable GameCube games.

Get a Wavebird and it’s honestly pretty close.

Snapdragon 8XX phones can run Dolphin alright now, it’s not too long before it’s ubiquitous.

i just wanna play baten kaitos on my phone

is that too much to ask

is it

1 Like