Who wondered 'hey its God Hand'

i do not see this as a game about a dad and his son

wow i was really drunk lmao hold on

this is very much a Mom Game as far ws im concerned

2 Likes

to elaborate cuz ive got some free time for a sec, Mom’s Shadow hangs over the game. I tbink it’s very important the beginning of the game doesn’t even show her much - to Kratos and Atreus she is seemingly two very different women with shades of similarity. As much as the game is aboht an absentee dad getting to know his son annd vice versa, the game is also about Kratos learning more about the woman he loved and Atreus learning more about who his mother was.

2 Likes

the cowards at Sony should’ve called it God of War: Mom’s Shadow

5 Likes

i thought it was rly neat how you dont at first learn anythng about her from Kratos but only from how Atreus behaves and acts. theres a good scene in thr middle, . and kratos isna hog protector

also who wants to bet me on atreus real identity

Albert Einstein

1 Like

boy i sure do miss ps2 era ui design though i am so tired of this sleek aesthetic in every in game mdnu

anyone nahhing on the combat in this game has not experienced the sheer thrill of launching a guy into the air and juggling him across an island before kicking him over the edge and hitting him with the bad end of an axe right before he dies becaude why not fuck the aesir

the thrill is in when the axe hits a dude hard enough to bounce right off with a thud and plank before returning immediately to yohr meaty claw

2 Likes

weird i had no interest in this game until somebody told me you can just cut any guy you want in half any time

2 Likes

So GoW2018 is really just Mother 4?

yeah. the combat kicks ass in this.

I am finding the story/writing a little bland though.

I think I love this game. I am much further than I was when I was last posted but I still think I’m pretty far from the end. I keep pushing ahead into cool new areas and fighting awesome battles against huge enemies (has anyone fought the dragon yet? Or encountered the Traveler enemy types?) and after each major story beat the game surprises me by revealing a whole new cool area or majorly altering a previous area I’ve already been to thus opening up new routes and spaces to explore and new creatures to battle.

It’s like a flower that just constantly keeps blooming, colorful petals unfurling to reveal even more petals of different colors and shapes, which unfurl to reveal even more stranger petals underneath those. Just making basic progress forward is incredibly satisfying. I’m glad I avoided spoilers.

1 Like

is anyone else vaguely upset by the extent to which Ueda’s PS2 work seems to have been treated, in hindsight, as, like… a design demo?

a significant part of Sony’s recent AAA development has been like “Ico, but with mass market narrative trappings,” and I’m obviously happy that such a great work has been as inspirational as it is, and Sony funded it in the first place so it’s their prerogative, I just hate that they keep making these big noisy po-faced things as though it was always meant to serve as a blueprint

2 Likes

I’d like to think diminishing returns and audience fatigue’ll set in but looking at pop culture generally at present is forbidding that thought pretty sternly

It’s just the current moment. There’ll be another big Ueda type game design revolution eventually that will make a big splash and Sony or whoever will push that as a blueprint for a decade or so.

yeah, I just dislike the whole notion of treating these things as a blueprint, as it implies they weren’t complete in the first place

I get you but you might need a different word other than blueprint because by definition a blueprint is a completed design. No one builds a skyscraper or infrastructure using an incomplete set of plans.

1 Like

Giant monsters are in right now, what with Attack on Titan