Who wondered 'hey its God Hand'

Is there a scene where kratos tries to get his son to engage in a fuck qte with some norse ladies and the son just looks at him like “mom died five hours ago” and kratos is like “real men qte fuck their grief away” and the son turns and walks away silent and then you have to qte to keep kratos’ flagging bonner up but no matter how hard you mash it just keeps deflating and then a single qte tear rolls down his fa

6 Likes

oh they don’t address the series’ legacy of qte fucks at all? weird

2 Likes

Sure!

• Listen to the boy. When he yells “BEHIND YOU!”, it’s with perfectly actionable timing to start mashing X to roll away.

• Shortly after you reach the Lake of Nine, Atreus’s melee abilities will become available (you can unlock them before then but they don’t work, which is kind of daft), and he’ll automatically focus on choking stronger enemies so you can focus the rest. At this point game also opens up with more shop options and copious side content to explore. Until then, Atreus is a good distraction for the elite enemies.

• The timing window for parries is very wide and interrupts every adjacent enemy, which should allow you to get at least one string out. With most unenraged enemies, you can perpetually stunlock them with the right string of light/heavy attacks, should no other enemies interrupt.

• Your shield blocks all damage in front of you, except if it’s a yellow attack that breaks your guard (but can be parried), or a red attack that you must roll away from.

• Pay attention to stun, interrupt, and displacement properties of attacks. None of the tools are just for show; they all have unique and useful properties. Use interrupt moves such as the L1+R1 runic attack both offensively and defensively.

• Whenever you can knock an enemy off a cliff, do it. I took out a Revenant and an Elite Draugr with a couple R2 stomps in Spartan Rage. Also, conserve Spartan Rage for particularly hard fights that you get stuck on, and use it to delete a couple problematic enemies.

• It’s thematically appropriate to scream insults at the boy when the game is kicking your ass.

1 Like

As far as I’ve gotten there has been one hog, and on sight Kratos and Boy go hog hunting. Afterwards you get chastised by a woman because he was the last hog of his kind, the kind that’s actually a guy who transformed into a hog and forgot he was human (or at least something not-hog).

There actually aren’t any qtes at all.

Or tap down on the dpad for a 180 degree turn and a quick block/parry. I’ve been in larger battles where I was flipping back and forth between one group of enemies and another attacking me from both sides and actually getting out of the situation alive felt amazing.

#NOTMYKRATOS

3 Likes

I will say though that for all the good stuff the game does do you sure do see that opening chests animation a lot.

11 Likes

I think the competition for dumb things about krateman is more heated than that

I played God of War 2 in the fish suit and that was satisfying

Has no idea about that video… O_o

You can tell Kratos actually cares a lot about personal grooming because his facial hair has always been well sculpt. You think that axe is just for killing people?

I bet you also think his beard is natural. He’s actually completely clean shaven from scalp to chin. Each strand of his beard is actually from a different thing he’s killed over the years. Compare Kratos’s facial hair in God of War 1 vs God of War PS4.

3 Likes

yeah thomsen is exceptionally pretentious way beyond what I could ever be but it’s pretty funny and well-observed nonetheless

I was talking more specifically about group encounters featuring enemies like the Heavy Drauger, who aren’t stunned very easily. The game often pits me against one or two level 2 Heavy Draugers plus two or three other enemies and in that situation all those special moves and stunlocking and whatnot just don’t seem as useful anymore when the Heavy Drauger will just be resistant to it. It’s better for me to run away and charge the R2 button to hit an enemy in time before their attack makes contact with me, because that does the most single hit damage and also gives you brief invincibility during the animation. And even if Boy jumps on the back of a Heavy Drauger, you still have the four other enemies standing right next to it.

Any move that takes long to animate or keeps you in place feels like a deathwish when you die in 2-3 hits. Juggles are a no-no for the same reason. If you commit to more than 1 or 2 swings at one particular enemy you’ll just get hit by someone else.

1 Like

15 Likes

Don’t neglect that square button. The arrows do a bit of stun plus regular damage (more so if you upgrade it and later on other stuff as well) and Atreus will fire at whatever you’re looking at. Usually it’s enough to cancel an incoming attack and knock an enemy back a little giving you a small opening (if you can get the hit in before they start swinging). Using the arrows plus fist/shield attacks will get an enemy’s stun meter filled fairly quickly.

For the heavy guys though I hang back once I spot them and throw the axe a few times, usually aiming for the head, softening them up before rushing in to finish them off with regular attacks and arrows. Get used to the timing for your stance-change moves (if you’ve learned them yet) because that’s where the actual comboing happens and remember you can block/parry just about everything. Some stronger enemies will stun you when you block them but there is a shield move you can unlock early on that will let you counter attack when this happens.

Make sure you take a second to practice your new moves as you unlock them to make sure you’re doing them correctly. Never stop moving/dodging/quick-turning/blocking/parrying, get used to firing arrows in the middle of axe swings, don’t be afraid to throw the axe at something you think might be trouble even in the middle of combat with something else because you can call it back in a second and your fists and shield are just as effective weapons. You’ll eventually unlock a bashing move for your shield that will let you break an enemy’s shield stance and give you an opening so if you just hang on long enough to get that one then the heavy draugr will become a lot more manageable.

kratOS is temperamental and prone to fatal errors

3 Likes