white girl with dreads (new metroid thread)

this is out in two days. I’m going to buy it. it might be terrible!

mostly I started this thread bc I wanted to make the cringey pun in the title. I’m not sorry about it! let’s talk about this here new metroid game now that reviews are coming out. so far the “mainstream gamersphere” seems to like it, which isn’t very encouraging!

10 Likes

Making power patchouli bath bombs to celebrate

6 Likes

Using the scan visor on my shampoo bottle for info on spaceship earth

7 Likes

I found this post by @scross in the Games You Played thread pretty valuable:

8 Likes

Samus isn’t white she’s Irish

16 Likes

nor should you be, gud wurk turps

2 Likes

she’s french

5 Likes

this game looks like fucking shadow complex, i am not electrified

4 Likes

She is (culturally) Chozo

13 Likes

hmm yeah if this is a game for deep chozo lore lovers I’m probably not gonna love it. I literally do not care about any of that, it’s the least interesting part of metroid

1 Like

I believe the term is chozx

7 Likes

What a weird and boring direction to go after Fusion — I want to raid GF stations and stop their bio weapon production or sth

3 Likes

the chozo gimmick is good if it results in cool level design, or if samus turns into the guy from alien soldier

14 Likes

metroidbread
the best sourdough starters come from zebes it goes good with chozo chorizo

15 Likes

so many good body- and post-human directions they could have taken Samus in, especially after Fusion

5 Likes

samus aran cameo on tuca & bertie

1 Like

That reminds me I thought Carrion looked sharp for the premise

1 Like

1 Like

This game’s previews have consistently made it look like an uninspired, by-the-numbers Respectable Legacy Franchise Entry. In early Switch days, I was hoping that Breath of the Wild was an indicator that Nintendo was willing to get creative with their big IP, but this looks anything but. I hope I’m wrong but @scross’s post linked above makes me think I’m not.

4 Likes

I suppose Samus Returns and this are reactive to Other M’s spectacular failure and Breath of the Wild is reactive to the Skyward Sword’s with-a-whimper failure. Helps that the Zelda/EAD team were obviously bored with the OoT format themselves. I could not tell you what games helmed by Sakamoto have in common besides rotating the Wii remote to hold it differently, sometimes.

7 Likes