white girl with dreads (new metroid thread)

Her name rhymes with Camus

6 Likes

I’m interested to see if Nintendo eventually tries their hand at making their own Metroid or Zelda randomizers either as official hacks or as a mechanic to thwart walkthroughs. I’m sure they’d then giddily send out C&Ds return receipt requested so I’m not too interested but still.

so AM2R, then?

AM2R’s text dumps are like a mid-aughts webcomic with more speech bubble than art by area.

2 Likes

was really ready to enjoy this but @scross has my feelings covered.

mercury stream have one trick – seamless transition of cinematic to player action – and they’re rather good at it, but when neither cinematic nor game action are compelling at all, well.

the way the EMMI have Flagged and Demarcated Zones defangs them entirely and the controls for the Intermittent Cinema Gun inexplicably conflict with the normal gun? why. everything but the character art is so sloppy.

5 Likes

my idea for a metroid game is Samoo crash-lands on Planet Casltevania and, due to some malfunction of her Fusion suit, starts taking on vampire-like characteristics because the suit is attempting to adapt itself and Samucard to the environment. She eventually comes upon a town of superstitious villagers who tell her that if she wants to turn back into a human again, she has to traverse to Castle Castlevania and defeat King Dracula Castlevania, but then at the very end, after collecting ribs and cutting off Dracula’s head and burning his heart she realizes she’s still a vampire because duh, it wasn’t a curse, the suit modified her to be vampire, but then a metroid fuses with her ship so her ship can leave and then once she’s out of the Castlevania environment she starts to turn normal again, but she’s still stuck to the suit.

eta: wait i forgot that konami doesn’t make metroid

12 Likes

Morph ball Planet Zebes pachinko machine designs itself to be fair, an honest mistake

5 Likes

i would give it all up for another m tbh

3 Likes

Gonna say Samoo for the rest of my life, thank you thread

4 Likes

Doing my very best bad Cajun accent racist gumbo cooking rant a la the Charles Martinet audition and slipping in as many "Samoo"s as possible in honor of toups’ thread

3 Likes

really I just want to make a search action game where nothing about it really resembles metroid except the protagonist is named “samoo”

wonder if I could get away with :thinking:

1 Like

Can the protagonist be a cow or cow themed

1 Like

Off the top of my head:

• Cinematic narrative aspirationalism (he’s described his work on even SM in these terms)
  • Melee combat (since the charge beam flare in Fusion)
  • Chase sequences (the “deleter” plot in Other M feels close enough)

(Maybe the aiming weirdness in OM and SR fits in here somehow.)

I feel like pulling out general trends and commonalities between his work is a bit difficult than the Zelda series due to him being a former R&D1 guy rather than an EAD guy. Almost all console Zelda games from Zelda 3 to BotW have been obviously iterative to varying degrees — the same cannot be said about non-Prime Metroids since number 3, and that feels deliberate.

4 Likes

wouldn’t be a first

2 Likes

i bet i could make a good metroid

12 Likes

i was considering buying this almost entirely because my switch is caked in dust at this point

1 Like

metroid kung fu game starring samoo hung

2 Likes

The ending of this game has some intense Metroid: A Netflix Original Series vibes

The idea of Samus’ DNA turning into that of a Metroid is admittedly a base for some potentially intriguing things but as usual the execution is as MercurySteam as it gets – there’s some amusement in how she reacts to being called someone’s daughter by barely moving an eyebrow and stoically keeping a gun in their face, but it feels like extreme course overcorrection meant to please people who still feel angry at Other M. This one’s for the fans, through and through

4 Likes

they are so, so close to something great, body change/corruption has been weaving through the series since Prime and Fusion and they just can’t close it, can they? Has there ever been any follow-through, any real change and rebirth and reclamation?

8 Likes

now play Vitality and report back please I’m burning for someone else’s take

4 Likes