What're you readin'

oh the hilo books also cuts out the very long and boring ending so its two big cuts

When I first googled for this book this version came up first:

1 Like

Penned in 1912, The Night Land is considered by many to be a work of genius, but one written in a difficult, archaic style that readers often find impenetrable.

50% of the fun of Hodgson is regularly, internally clowning on These Ridiculous Briar-Patch Sentences, imo

really doing a disservice to the reading public

#thenIsawseeingly

6 Likes

Since the Meiji era, modern Japan has pursued “Westernization”, acquired the status of “first-class country” after the Russo-Japanese War, and entered the great powers as the only non-Western country. However, what awaited was racial exclusion from the West, such as the Yellow Peril, the failure to insert a racial equality plan at the Paris Peace Conference, and the enactment of the US Immigration Act of Japan. This book considers how modern Japan has perceived racial differences, and the genealogy of its mentality, which has been viewed as taboo, through the racial experience of Western elites.

4 Likes
7 Likes

This sounds really good, what do you think of it so far

1 Like

About the The Colonisation of Time? Good book and I just start it.

Before the Meiji era, Japanese uses a totally different time system called Solar term, originated in China. It develops a folk culture based on nature and fits on agricultural society, includes food, clothes and painting, now people just treat it as a kind of folk heritage, not a entire system. 肌色の憂鬱 (Melancholy of race) is more focus on top level people of a non-white country, so after finnished it, I pay more attention on common people.

This book explained its topic well, about how industrialization deprived of our relationship with nature in the pursuit of efficiency. It’s more forcus on what the time play the role in Australia and Africa, well-writeen, with detailed refences.

After this book on my list is a another book about same topic, it’s about global time zone, how colonies fight for time standard on each other, and the neglected islamic calendar.

4 Likes

Found Voices from the rainforest: Testimonies of a threatened people, 1996 edition from a local used book seller! I bought it for $14.

I know this book and the Penan people from a documentary by Raphael Treza.

If you wanna know more about the author:

7 Likes

somehow i stumbled onto a full cast audiobook on youtube of hyperion and i’ve been trundling through it all week
it’s really, really showy and i’m kind of into it

2 Likes

Realized last year that all my current philosophical interests seem to point back to Hegel since I kept seeing brief and extremely intriguing references to Hegel in like every other nonfiction book I’m reading. But, setting off to read a 600-page German book from 1807 called Phenomenology of Spirit seems a bit much so I kept making up my own ideas about what Hegel probably said instead of actually reading him.

I’m still not at the point of actually reading Phenomenology but I did read last month a great little nutshell book (184 pages) from 2005 called The Accessible Hegel that summarizes the parts of his thought that are considered the most interesting and relevant to a 21st-century American. Strongly recommend this book, it goes right into the meat of what intrigued me about Hegel and why I’m rediscovering philosophy again as an adult in the first place.

7 Likes

highly recommend this fabulous book re: hegel

also the preface to the phenomenology is quite self-contained and might be more approachable taken on its own (it was for me). the 2018 terry pinkard translation is quite good (and he even has a pdf of his class notes for the whole book paragraph by paragraph online!)

6 Likes

Reading Margarite Dumas’ The Lover for a class, and as a fan of the Hiroshima, mon amour, which she wrote the screen play for, I love this a lot.

Eerie thing though. This library copy I have has every instance of the phrase “elder brother” defaced like this.

That character is kind of a vague, hateful presence in the book. This seems like a ward against, or something. I can’t make out what the writing is exactly, but this all feels a bit spooky.

11 Likes

I love this! Feels like something in a liminal zone between mysticism, OCD, iconoclasm and a healthy mindfulness technique. That reader was starting to feel dragged down in real life by the elder brother’s bad energy so they fought back against his symbol.

5 Likes

Yes exactly!! I was thinking it could be an OCD tick or a bit of mysticism too. Things like this are my favorite part about checking out library books or getting used ones. But this is maybe the most intriguing thing I’ve seen yet.

1 Like

I rly enjoyed that book when i read it last year. Just picked off my mum’s bookshelf while i was staying with her

2 Likes

What’s so spooky too is that the long-ago reader’s originally private action carries years later, a bit of socially infectious power. The brother is just a fictional character, he can’t ruin my mood with his bad vibes after I’m finished reading the book, I can just simply forget him if I see no value in considering him any further, right? I control symbols, they don’t control me, right?

4 Likes

right?

2 Likes

Just finished reading The Universe Replied, a series of interviews with and about Los Campesinos! published last year to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Romance is Boring. The most striking thing was specific references to message boards, MSN messenger, etc. that show the band were internet-dwelling but not yet wholly online.

I’m giddy with excitement about Analyzing Freud, an epistolary account of H.D.'s time as his patient in the 30s that’s nearly 600 pages of letters and footnotes.

Somehow, H.D.'s séance with Freud was the point of transition, the funnel into which her memories of the past and associations of the present poured and out of which she emerged reborn. But how? This is a great enigma. Though it bored him, Freud needed and demanded loyalty from his associates and analysands. H.D. was a quietly defiant sort of woman, not well suited to the sort of dire mastery and discipleship de rigueur in psychoanalytic circles. At nearly six feet, she towered above him, and for all her adulation of “papa” she understood their profound differences and left his aegis even more certain of her rightness than when she arrived.

6 Likes

H.D. and Bryher seldom called any of the people in their intimate circle by their “proper” names.

Tell H-mann [Heinrich Mann], I am so happy is to be ‘one of us.’ What is his animal??? Has he one??? I will try to find him a little p. a. [psychoanalytic] gift in totem, ivory, if you will tell me what he has or is, for luck.

In tune with their cats and the statue of an Egyptian cat she used for meditation, H.D. is often KAT, sometimes signed in big, bold, underlined capital letters and other times sketched like a coiled spring with cat ears and whiskers.

oh my god (additional superfluous question marks omitted by discourse)

5 Likes

The modernists were all the most self-indulgent weirdos, in one way or another. Lots of time spent in self-indulgent assemblage of persona from history’s heap of broken images, etc.

Even the ones that never met Sigmund!

2 Likes