what music app do you use? (non-streaming)

Searched around the forum and found a few old discussions but nothing conclusive. I’m sick to death of Samsung Music sorting artists in awful ways, not finding the album art that is right fucking there etc etc but there don’t seem to be any good alternatives.

Musicolet seems ok, I respect that it is 100% offline but the artist page is fucked, why can’t it be a grid of albums instead of this.

And there are way too many buttons on the now playing screen (what do you actually call it?)

Foobar2000 has an app which is frankly too ugly.
VLC is like, not really a real one of these.
I used to use BlackPlayer and didn’t hate it but it seems to not exist anymore.

Like what I think I want is just a thing where I can browse my mp3 folders and there is no bullshit and it is all in the right place, but if I’m being honest it needs to be pretty, comfy, not some programmer jank. Idk.

Anyway what do you use, how is it annoying, is there even a truly good one?

foobar or my inflated ipod running rockbox

3 Likes

foobar on my phone and musicbee on my pc

should ween off foobar cuz they’re shitheads

whats the best music player on linux btw?

I’ve been using foobar for like twenty years (outside of a brief Linux only period where I eventually settled on deadbeef). I don’t mess with iTunes so I also like the iOS version of foobar for both having its own easier to use music folder and for being able to play network shares. I have a couple large thumb drives filled with music plugged directly into my router. My one complaint is the iOS version doesn’t know how to handle disc numbers for double albums, so the way out is through will follow somewhat damaged and whatnot.

Outside of that sort of diy home streaming I don’t fuck with any of the streaming services.

I use DoubleTwist which is pretty much what you. describe wanting. Sorting by artist does indeed just show a list of albums:

This is the view i use pretty much all of the time, although you can also use list view if you wanna see more at once.

My favorite feature is that you can shuffle by albums rather than individual tracks. That’s cool.

The only annoying thing is that it doesn’t automatically remove deleted items, but there’s an option in the menus to do it so it’s just a matter of knowing that.

Otherwise, no real complaints. I hated the Foobar app as well, so this was my way of getting away from the awful default player on my phone. I believe i paid a one time thing to get gapless playback but that may not even be true, as google says i never bought the pro version…

EDIT: i did pay about nine bucks for the pro upgrade which is apparently different from the separate Pro app on the play store

3 Likes

Ahh thank you!!! It seems the free version hasn’t been kept up to date so it won’t let me download it… A shame, it looks like it might be what I want. Don’t really wanna fork out the cash without trying it though.,

1 Like

ah damn, app rot is the worst. i’m running android 11 because 12 made my phone freak out, probably why i can still use it…

I’ve been using Poweramp for years and I’ve been happy with it. It does everything I want it to and you can (optionally) customize all kinds of things.

https://powerampapp.com/

1 Like

I don’t like any of them so I started making my own last year

https://r-ch.net/caesura/

It is incredibly barebones but it is sufficient for my current use so I don’t care.

13 Likes

Untitled-1 copy

4 Likes

If we’re talking PC, then yes. Winamp is still the only player I use. I’ve never found an alternative that comes close.

5 Likes

winamp.original_mw6gqjCWuY

10 Likes

I use a complicated custom build of winamp that I have transported across devices for at least 15 years. From Windows ME to Windows 11.

On iOS for my ipod I use Marvis which I adore. Only complaint is it doesn’t show song length just album length. But it has great menus and takes me three clicks to shuffle all songs and just a few more to play an album in order.

3 Likes

well speak of the god damned devil, this has just started randomly crashing even after a restart. god i hate phones

gonna go back to having a dedicated mp3 player at this rate, at least it’s good at the one thing it’s supposed to do

EDIT: well this was the first result

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Astell-Kern-A-ultima-SP2000T-Hi-Res-Portable-Player-Onyx/780393745

so i guess even this market has been destroyed by people with more money than sense

2 Likes

All that money to make an uglier zune?

1 Like

Those little Sandisk players with expandable micro sd storage are great for the price; no need to go ultra high end if you don’t want to

Wtffffff

deadbeef is linux foobar

3 Likes

yeah i think i’ll do something like that if i get the urge, though i do want something with bluetooth…

there’s a bunch of cheapy ones on amazon tho

haha just realized something

2 Likes