WE HAVE TO GO BACK!

Ultima and Castlevania could be threads in themselves. Also Kingdom Hearts apparently.

The main Mega Man Battle Network games reuse a number of familiar environments, although I think your house and hometown are the only ones in every game. I assume successor series Star Force does the same.

The last boss of Mega Man Zero 3 is fought where the first game began (I think). 1-3 all have you assaulting the same city-state for the fortress levels, although I’m pretty sure it’s different locations each time. The central hub base is the same in 2 & 3.

Actually, from X through ZXA, there are numerous cameo bosses and set-pieces, but I’m not sure any of them are explicitly revists, as opposed to “oh this might actially be such-and-such” winks.

You revisit areas from the first two Ys games in IV, but there are basically four different versions of the game, each having a different theoretical place in the series timeline.

The parody game Pyst is about revisiting the island after it’s been completely trashed by tourists.

Maybe we should establish a minimum 1 or 2 game gap unless a place has changed drastically.

Jak 2 maybe and Jak 3 definitely. The Jak 3 one is coooool.

Dont think any of the Kingdom Hearts ones have environmental changes.

Jeez there are more of these and I am completely blanking.

1 Like

suikoden 2

There’s all of Links between worlds, Bravely Default 2 and FFX-2.

Lufias always have you come back to that same Sinistrals big floating island.

XCOM 2?

OH SHIT YES. How could I forget this? I loved those games.

Yakuza games.

:joy:

But uh, Resident Evil 3?

Metal Gear Ghost Babel takes place back at Outer Heaven, though it’s not very recognizable outside the room where Snake destroyed the TX-55, the wreckage of which is still there.

in world of warcraft you spend one expansion on the planet of draenor and then another expansion time traveling back to an earlier version of draenor. in an alternate dimension. so I’m not sure if that counts or not. it’s best not to think about these things.

Is the Richter fight at the beginning of SOTN taken from Dracula X? I always assumed it was but I never beat Dracula X to confirm

Oh wait, don’t you revisit Vvanderfell or whateever the hell it’s called in one of the Skyrim expansions? Or you at least re-visit an area that was in the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind.

Yeah you visit Solstheim which is on the border between Morrowind and Skyrim. It’s the “winter level” for Morrowind and um, the “Morrowind level” for Skyrim.
Apparently Vvardenfell (the island Morrowind takes place on) got utterly destroyed between Oblivion and Skyrim. Basically a big meteor/floating prison called the Citadel fell on it and blew up the local giant volcano.

Speaking of exploding citadels, the second Little Big Adventure begins on the same island as the first one, which is where the big bad had his base (which you blew up). Except this time it’s in FULL 3D!! instead of pre-rendered isometric 3D. You also go to the desert island from the first game, where the ancient temple you had to explore to get your ancestral treasure has been partially converted into a theme park ride (which later turns out to have a hidden alien base beneath it).

Oh yeah this is another reason to hate Skyrim. Remember the setting of the best game we ever made? We don’t either, we blew that bitch up

3 Likes

And speaking of TES, technically Arena had you running all over Tamriel, including Morrowind, Cyrodill, and Skyrim, though I doubt much is recognizable. TES Online has some places from Oblivion and Skyrim that are however, though it’s kind of reverse since timeline wise it takes place way before those games.

@Father.Torque
Well, Vvardenfell’s still there, and still inhabited, one of the books mentioned Balmora made it through. The city of Vivec is just part of the bay now though, since that’s where the rock was hanging over. And there’s also the entire rest of the province of Morrowind that we saw only a tiny bit of in TES 3 that’s fine, minus the Argonians invading.

1 Like

Having somewhat recently played Arena, I can say it’s not recognizable at all and in fact the wilderness is completely randomly generated. That means you can’t actually walk between cities. You have to fast travel. I guess the maps that everything is located on are probably the same though? So that sort of counts.

1 Like

Super Mario World has you visiting an airship from SMB3, except it’s underwater and filled with ghosts. It’s not any particular airship but it has enough resemblance to any of them to be pretty uncanny and just a little dark. (I write this all out knowing that everyone knows this already)

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Tristram being in Diablo 2 as all destroyed and aflame and stuff. That’s a fun one.

2 Likes

How long until interest in Elder Scrolls declines to the point that Bethesda goes for that reunion tour money and slaps the title Morrowind II on a game?

1 Like

Suddenly, it makes sense why those areas looked so familiar.

still not as egregious as turning Cyrodiil into generic medievalland instead of steamy Roman Empire jungle country but yeah im not a fan of the mythological destruction of anything interesting in TES

'Til they run out of provinces i guess though they could always pull a weird curveball and set something in Akavir or w/e
but i don’t trust them to do anything that cool for the above reasons :\

1 Like

It feels really obvious to me that an early idea for TES5 was going to be set in one of the southern regions, valenwood, elsweyr or the summerset isles. One of the constant dialogue snippets in oblivion was talking about whats going on in summerset and so much of the lore in skyrim had to do with elf fascists fighting a now cold war against the empire in the southwest. Instead they set a game in boring vikings and dragons land

1 Like