Watch Thread Already

on another note i enjoy these how it’s made type videos. something very cool to look at in general, and esp for watches imo

3 Likes

best trance video to watch

sorry for the dorky pun, but I couldn’t help myself, goddamn is that a soothing watch-assembly trance MV

otoh, re Grand Seiko:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/definitive-poor-mans-grand-seiko-thread-898030.html
is a good starting point, and idk if it was there or somewhere else where I’ve seen the following model (SNKE01K1)

being recommended - well, amazon had a price cut on that model some time ago, so I went for it.
Using it for more representative work related occasions mostly, sometimes just for fun tho.

Daily drive watch is this SNXS77 though,

alternating w/ the aforementioned/posted Braun

for hipstering 'round town casual meetings, trips to museums etc …

3 Likes

i’ve been trying to work out in my head whether i ‘need’ a watch in that smart/dressier style enough to spend 0-400 on. right now i have 4 watches. only 2 of them really see much wear:

Daily wear: Seiko SKX013

i switch between bracelet and this blue zulu strap. def not a refined watch.
‘skx is too heavy’ watch is this Casio (MTP-V007L something)

i need to get an appropriate brown croc/alligator print strap so i can actually wear this as a dress watch. the dial has a nice gloss for a $20 watch.

These two don’t really fit into my life right now:

Casio A-168W – i think the colors on the face are super dope, they have a sort of faded pastel look and the blue/red/orange just works somehow. Plus: stopwatch is useful. OTOH the bracelet can pull arm hair, so i tend to go with the analog casio if i want something light.

Casio F-91W – this is my gym watch, but i don’t go to the gym. as a result i never wear this watch. i might give it to my little cousin or someone. i’ve contemplated taking this strap and putting it on the A-168W to see if i can create a more wearable watch. Unfortunately Casio digitals don’t really use the normal lug system, so straps are weird.

i don’t like clutter or owning things for the sake of having them, so i want to figure out something to do with these casios.

1 Like

i really want a Grand Seiko someday, but like, if I won it in a cereal box or something. I dunno that I can justify that many thousands on a dress watch. for a ‘baby Grand Seiko’ though i’ve considered this (SARB035) around 300

my friend has an SNKL23 which i think is becoming the internet consensus for ‘sharp looking seiko 5’

1 Like

This thread is messing with my brain. I’m trying to filter all of this information through the area of my mind that loves giant robots, because it shares a desire for an aesthetic ideal, but none of these watches are robot animals that morph into larger forms. I feel you guys have a long ways to go.

2 Likes

I thought I was happy with my chunky military style seiko (though I did sort of prefer the seiko no.5 it replaced) for everyday + my slightly dressier automatic of dubious reputation for those days when I really wanted something to match my goin-to-meetin’ boots but now that I’ve seen that max bill chronoscope I’m having grim watch/lottery fantasies

###################

2 Likes

My brother-in-law has a rolex he saved for years for, but last time I was in Thailand he had me hunt for a knockoff of it to wear so he didn’t beat the real thing up too much?

This bewildered my sister.

It didn’t matter since the knockoff watches I bought were stolen from my bag as I returned to the states.

Watch sellers kept saying my seiko was a VERY GOOD COPY and acted astonished when I told them it was the real thing.

2 Likes

Junkers makes an imperfect and too-highly priced quartz knock-off (they also have some similarly Max Bill inspired automatic watches, but not the chronograph afaik).

I am not above being trashy so I have a vaguely similar Kenneth Cole that I noticed during a google image search. I put a fat strap on it and wear it more than my Braun.

3 Likes

http://www.stuhrling.com/Mens/Monaco/459.01.html

:thinking:

this seems pretty blatant but it just doesn’t have that thing

They’ve got some colors that are a little closer. I can’t tell if it actually has a domed crystal from the pics or if it’s like the KC that I have which is like bent internally but not externally domed. Looks like it might be the same kinda case.

I’d wear it. But I guess you gotta pay to play for reals.

still trying to figure out how i feel about homages

When you don’t like something, it’s a rip-off.

If you do, it’s an homage.

1 Like

i have to suppose g-shocks are back in fashion again

i dont think they ever left

my wrists are too small for all but the boring rectangular ones. i was thinking about getting one but i have 0 need for it

One day I’ll have a watch and won’t scratch the face within a week of getting it

1 Like

oh gosh this guy is excited

3 Likes

what is courtroom chic as far as watches? you have to look the part of the city public defender right. is that more of a “look as nice as possible” role or a “dress down and win pity points” role

Literally no one cares and the huge majority of all people including lawyers just use their phones to tell time. Sorry :frowning:

1 Like