Watch Thread Already

i’ve an odd relationship with luxury goods, their existence bothers me but i really love learning how to make my own

not monetising them/scaling up ever is probably how i square it all off

2 Likes

my next project is probably an 1176 fet compressor

what is wrong with me

my watches, again, for the Watch Thread

3 Likes

This might be a little insane (could go on the small differing opinions thread), but I don’t like having brand names everywhere. I don’t have any clothing with visible brand names, and most of my electronics have the brands covered with gaffer tape. I find it soothing. It’s the only thing I dislike about my current watch -and the vast majority of watches I see. It just ruins so many good designs and it doesn’t make any sense!

Having additional text is even worse; it obstructs the lines and overall design, and it draws a lot of attention for no good reason; it’s just a weird thing to put there. It looks kinda hilarious in the crappy Casios, but then you see Rolex forcing the most powerful men in the world to wake up every day and read “OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST — SUPERLATIVE CRONOMETER- OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED”. Why does a luxury watch have the presentation of an energy drink or a bad deodorant?

Also, what do watch brands have against logos? Logos rule; they look good, they can have a versatile shape that fits being surrounded by circles and lines, and they can be just as recognizable as any ostentatious brand name (just look at cars, sports teams, political parties, countries…). Yet 90% of brands just have a random name on it in some basic font. I don’t get it.

2 Likes

well, once upon a time it was hard to make a watch and watchmakers took pride in having their name on the dial blah blah

i dont mind a couple lines

• brand
  • model
  • water resistance (for dive watches)
  • chronometer (if chronometer certified)

yeah, I guessed that was the origin. still doesn’t make sense to me. almost no other products have their features prominently listed over them, and this is a tiny object you look at several times a day. it’s as if t-shirts listed the type of fabric and washing recommendations in a couple lines in the chest area over the design and not in a little label inside!

oops looks kinda cool actually

1 Like

no it doesn’t, you were on the right track

1 Like

Has anyone yet mad a “watch” that is basically the form factor of a watch, but when you check it is just gives your fortune or something? I guess that could just be an app for smart watches. Seems like something a kid would like. I just like the idea of someone checking their wrist, ostensibly to check the time, but really it’s just a thing that says, “Still lookin’ good buddy!”

I guess step counters or other biometrics are a similar concept: pocket vanity.

In Which TMKF Makes a Strong Stand Regarding How Pointless Step Counters Are (unless they’re contributing to giving birth to a baby pikachu or something)

When I was a kid I loved having shoes with shiny parts, lights that flash with every step, glow in the dark shoestrings… but a pair I remember being specially proud of was one that had two digital watches -one on each shoe- in the midpoint of the shoelace (as what I just learned is called a “deubré”). Instead of looking at your wrist you just look at your feet! It’s so trashy I hadn’t seen it before and I haven’t seen it since, but I loved it ^^

2 Likes

Oh man I knew candy watches existed, such as this:

But Swatch went ahead and did this!!!

I love it!!! The candy probably isn’t real but I wish it was and you could re-fill it. It’s the perfect mix of cute and gross.

3 Likes

Select Button’s superhero origin.

1 Like

i spend a great deal of time looking at my feet honestly

or at least how different shoe models fit on them

Hey, if you don’t invest in your feet who will?

Perhaps a wealthy fetishist.

But that’s beside the point.

Welp, my new G-Shock shipped. DW5600E-1V, here we gooooo~

i might have a problem

2 Likes

I like these too but… expensive as heck

https://www.slow-watches.com/the-store/slow-jo-38mm

3 Likes

oh! yes… i like that very much.

I know i said i wasn’t a bling guy but i would probably go for this one :·P

this is a fun lil piece for 80 bux. the ‘speed racer’