vocal versions of non-vocal videogame songs

thanks to the modern miracle that is suruga-ya’s free international shipping weekends, i recently got ahold of a physical copy of the psychic force ost for an actual pittance. the first track on there is one i’ve never heard before, ho shi i. it’s a vocal cover version of sonia’s theme carry away. it’s got incredibly powerful 90s japan energy:

this seems to mainly be a fighting game thing, as far as i can tell. i remember this version of ryu’s theme become an injoke among some of my friends in the early 00s

and there’s two whole albums of guilty gear x songs

and despite what i said above, i think the most famous one of these is the dreams come true version of the sonic 2 ending theme

though in this case, the vocal version came first iirc

anyone know of more of these?

7 Likes

My favorite of these is the official album of vocal covers of the Mother 1 soundtrack:

Those naive but operatic vocals really fit the game’s tone. I wish they’d done one of these for Mother 2!

7 Likes

Oh and of course, the undeniable Mario Land rap:

4 Likes

oh, the mario post reminds me that there’s also a vocal version of the alex kidd theme

3 Likes

Lemme just open Napster real quick

6 Likes

There are lots of good ones in the C64 realm. Here are just a few:

Warning: This one has brief strong language (but it’s very good and it goes through my head all the time):

4 Likes

japanese old man vocals > british child vocals

5 Likes

guardian heroes title screen. (There’s also that song with the male vocals I think is based on an in-game song, but I can’t find a video of it anymore.)

mischief makers title screen

Much of this album is stage music from twinbee games

dreams dreams (I’m not really a fan of this song for the record…)

I know there’s probably some on those data east gamadelic albums from the early 90s but they are pretty bad, it would suck to try and figure out if anything is worth hearing

3 Likes

I dont know if video games are the right medium for vocel representation.

2 Likes

anti-dating game where you avoid affection in a danmaku minigame

3 Likes

first and only thing that comes to mind

6 Likes

love it

5 Likes

(Kinda cheatin’, but who doesn’t catch themselves sometimes about to start singing

SEEEGAAAAA SEGGAAAAAAA

in the shower?

… so it is just me after all? :tarothink:

3 Likes

(Second kinda cheatin’ track:

Always sounds like it should be an instrumental track, but then it relies so heavily on the vocals and is so :twinklestar: )

1 Like

Banned…banned indefinitely.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

i love this song. its about how the Flying Man will die for you

the flying men are in both games but strangely dont have this theme in the first one despite being represented on the vocal soundtrack??

1 Like
1 Like

Does it count even if it’s a new vocal version of a track actually in a game?

Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage for PS1 has a version of Nakoruru’s SamSho1 theme Banquet of Nature with vocals as its credits music:

1 Like