videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

I’m not sure what thread to put this post in, but I’ve been thinking of Zero Tolerance for the Genesis a lot for the past week so I guess it fits here. It’s pretty impressive for a on stock 4th gen hardware.

There’s a (somewhat) diverse cast of playable characters. The default character is a Japanese woman, which is cool.

Unlike wolf3d, it has verticality in the form of elevators and stairwells so that different floors connect seamlessly. According the TAS I watched, at some points you even have to backtrack to previous floors for some reason. Also you have the ability to jump and duck, both have their uses when dealing with enemies.

You can shoot walls to inflict cosmetic damage on them. Also, there are walls that run diagonally.

Knockback feels pretty intense, and it goes both ways. You can even duck and punch enemy corpses around. It seems that somebody on the team found the knockback fun enough to have there be a password that puts you in a boxing match against the final boss:

(naturally, the music is some dire GEMS trash, though not entirely beyond salvaging)

Framerate is barely passable. There’s a flamethrower that makes the framerate tank well below 10 fps (lol).

Oh, and it has split-screen co-op – and by split screen I mean you need two TVs, two Geneses, two copies of the game, and a special link cable to go in the controller ports.

It’s a fascinating game that I’m tempted to play on an overclocked emulator but I’m resisting that urge by remembering how much of a slog it was to actually play last time I tried but now I want to use it as a chance to explain the difference between a wolf3d clone and a doom clone please send help the worms are already entering my brain

15 Likes