videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

I took me two months but I see you Winker.

Play Blue Stinger.

Go To the Specially Place.

1 Like

I want HASSY

2 Likes

I’m not sure what thread to put this post in, but I’ve been thinking of Zero Tolerance for the Genesis a lot for the past week so I guess it fits here. It’s pretty impressive for a on stock 4th gen hardware.

There’s a (somewhat) diverse cast of playable characters. The default character is a Japanese woman, which is cool.

Unlike wolf3d, it has verticality in the form of elevators and stairwells so that different floors connect seamlessly. According the TAS I watched, at some points you even have to backtrack to previous floors for some reason. Also you have the ability to jump and duck, both have their uses when dealing with enemies.

You can shoot walls to inflict cosmetic damage on them. Also, there are walls that run diagonally.

Knockback feels pretty intense, and it goes both ways. You can even duck and punch enemy corpses around. It seems that somebody on the team found the knockback fun enough to have there be a password that puts you in a boxing match against the final boss:

(naturally, the music is some dire GEMS trash, though not entirely beyond salvaging)

Framerate is barely passable. There’s a flamethrower that makes the framerate tank well below 10 fps (lol).

Oh, and it has split-screen co-op – and by split screen I mean you need two TVs, two Geneses, two copies of the game, and a special link cable to go in the controller ports.

It’s a fascinating game that I’m tempted to play on an overclocked emulator but I’m resisting that urge by remembering how much of a slog it was to actually play last time I tried but now I want to use it as a chance to explain the difference between a wolf3d clone and a doom clone please send help the worms are already entering my brain

15 Likes

This is incredible. I really want to try the lan mode even though that’s certainly more time/money/effort than it’s worth.

1 Like

Occasionally, I think about crashing in Thrill Drive:

Sticks in your mind when you’re 12.

EDIT: Guess it was popular.

6 Likes

Getting very strong Blake Stone vibes from this game, with a hint of the first-person portions of SNES Jurassic Park

oh dear i just remembered the game (and a build of its cancelled sequel) is available for free on the company’s website after they went defunct:

http://www.technopop.net/

also, they have a schematic of the link cable if you want to make your own

Man, the only memory I have of Zero Tolerance is that my best friend growing up rented it and brought it over to play one day. I think we each took turns with it and eventually I go on a really good run doing better than I had any right to (we were two kids who had not played more than maybe 15 minutes of a Wolf 3D or Doom at this point) and upon flukishly clearing a floor of enemies in somewhat impressive/lucky fashion I spontaneously shouted out “I’m high on death!”

That ended up becoming a running joke between the two of us for the next few years.

6 Likes

these guys’ walk cycles

8 Likes

14 Likes

getting catcalled at my own wedding in dragon quest 5

10 Likes

I love seeing my childhood jokes in gif format!

but it doesn’t sound like lawnchair

it doesn’t sound like launcher either, though

He’s definitely pronouncing “launcher” the way it’s spelled and i definitely love it

1 Like

people mishear things differently, i am in the ‘its sounds like lawnchair’ camp

just like im in the ‘IT SOUNDS LIKE WE BE JAMMIN’ camp for snes starfox

10 Likes

you’re a fucking CLOWN, unnamed player. you’re a JOKE
1 Like

Yeah I see shit like this and I think maybe it’s a blessing that I haven’t had an internet connection good enough for online multiplayer since 2012

3 Likes

It’s always stunning to me that 90% of men in multiplayer games sound exactly the same and know about approximately 3 words, all of which are slurs

3 Likes

boy the comments in that video sure are bad

1 Like