videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

sometimes i remember lou bega is a playable character in the original tropico

5 Likes

I wanted to learn about scoring in Metal Slug 2 when I was a teenager. Playing for score in those games is not fun, but I appreciate the secrets. I still think about this area in particular:

Wow, those gold coins sure do activate some potato chip pleasure centers, almost as much as those gold cubes in mars matrix. Similarly, I occasionally think about grabbing the coins as they flash in Gunbird 2. Delicious gold in general is unforgettable.

8 Likes

This phrase makes me think of playing Dragonfire and picking up all of those chunky treasures. Too bad the sound of picking up a treasure isn’t quite as nice as the jumping and dying sounds in that game, though.

5 Likes

Chaining the gold coins in Gunbird 2 is the best. I liked the mechanic enough I stole it for Heat Death

1:59 if the timestamp doesn’t work.

You have to time it so you pick it up when they flash all red.

4 Likes

“nicely done, Jensen.”

nicelydonejensen

6 Likes

Younger and Elder Prince Lothric is probably the most epic boss in DS3 (and there are many epic bosses to encounter), and I always think about the line Younger Prince says when you die, just the switch in tone that comes in at its end to punctuate the taunt with a note of irony about the player and the Princes’ mutual curse to meaninglessly persist.

“this place marks our grave. But you may rest here too—if you’d like.”

4 Likes

is prince lothric bishounen

2 Likes

how Elena’s Ultra II adds a layer of quantitative analytical strategy by allowing the player to deposit and withdraw health as a resource

1 Like

Elena’s Healing is actually very interesting and anybody who says it’s a boring stalling mechanic is wrong. HEALING YOUR CHARACTER as a concept in fighting games is just fucking cool and novel.

8 Likes

Galaxy Brain: Pichu in SSBM

2 Likes

The debates about ‘lame’ strategies in fighting games are one of the more interesting parts of the meta for me. The reason people hate stuff that prolongs the match is because it’s very often effective at dismantling players with no patience. Elena’s healing introduces attrition in a game where a lot of players abhor anything that isn’t some sort of insane rushdown or mixup heavy game that closes the round in 20 seconds.

5 Likes

I firmly believe that, for character archetypes that try to end the round as quickly as possible, there should be archetypes that prefer to utilize all of the round time available.

6 Likes

One time I had a conversation with a mod on OGS because a player reported me for taking 4:99 of my 5 minutes to decide to pass at the end of the match. I did not yield my time–it was mine to take!!!

and in Melty Blood, there is so much movement that evading and turtling is very viable. this also plays into the fact that BLOOD HEAT causes the timer to pause completely.

4 Likes

Absolutely, time is a resource. There were a few interesting ideas to have characters directly interact with the timer. I think Geras in MK11 can drain the timer, and the time guy in Fantasy Strike can pause a frame to put himself in an advantageous state but it lasts long enough that ‘player thought time’ continues unabated. It’d be cool to see it messed with as a core idea in a fighting game a la Divekick.

3 Likes

good thing there will be a playable demo of Marina Fight at the next SBcon

8 Likes

people only say this because they hate to see their work undone but demoralizing my opponent is part of the process!!

3 Likes

:neko: I’M JUST POGGING RIGHT NOW :neko:

5 Likes

12 Likes

STEADY BOY

2 Likes

literally every day of my life

3 Likes