Video Game Youtube Channels To Watch 📺

I like Cool Ghosts, Matt Leed youtube channel

https://m.youtube.com/#/user/MattLees

I really recommend the subterfuge diaries series.
8 friends playing a mobile board game that lasts about a week. They each record their thoughts every now and then. They were meant to mostly talk about strategy at first (so the first video is necessary but a bit dey) but it becomes more emotional as they slowly start checking their phones more and more and the game starts to take over their lives and they begin to fucking hate it and some just end up leaving for real etc. It’s great.

Just remembered DAIS’s brilliant playthrough of Megaman for MS DOS: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F3E05FB6D720111

This is Required SB Viewing.

7 Likes

is it me or does the facial expression of the extra lives display on the pause menu of mega man DOS look like richard kind?

1 Like

You can find the Dendy chronicles videos with subs.

These are really blowin my mind.

2 Likes

Thanks to whoever first recommended Noah Gervais because goddamn he’s become my favorite gametalker over the last few months. He’s like a videogames’ Garrison Keillor or something.

4 Likes

The Diggin’ in the Carts series by Red Bull is pretty solid

toco toco tv has a lot of neat interviews with japanese creators in general but there are episodes with game designers/personalities as well

2 Likes

I think these two are the two main, frequently updating YT channels I watch now:

(^ I like the comments usually too)

Can’t really stand Errant Signal or Noah Cadwell- or that ilk anymore : /

2 Likes

I never liked Errant Signal but I like Noah Caldwell-Gervais, what’s wrong with his channel?

I just think it’s kinda middle-of-the-road. It’s okay if I’m not familiar with the game, but if I am I don’t really agree with him.

Also the way he talks kinda irks me.

Not rough enough generally I guess. Generic good opinions.

That’s probably exactly what I’d say about Errant Signal too though.

I don’t always agree with noah cg but I do find that his opinions tend to be at least sb levels of thought-through and they don’t feel generic. errant signal, on the other hand, feels like I’m watching a non-comedy polygon video. It’s trying so hard but it can’t muster a sophisticated or even unique opinion no matter how effortful it seems.

I guess my angle with game talkin’ (as a game making peson) is that I’m after little bits that spark my imagination, rather than sensible talking.

And by generic I’m really being optimistic in that’s what I tihnk should be base-line for this kind of thing rather than what probably is base-line. I’m in a bit of a bubble with this stuff.

Errant Signal does good stuff sometimes; e.g., while basically every alt-criticism of BINF involved taking its cartoonish handlings of race and class to task, ES’s criticism focused on the game’s mind-numbingly monotonous design and how it is actually a mechanical regression compared to the prior two titles, which imo make it much harder to digest

I really was annoyed, though, with his video on Dark Souls 3 where he seems incapable of allowing the possibility of mods of these games where enemies don’t exist or damage dealt to the player is lessened

Did anyone mention LowSpecGamer yet?

1 Like

I can’t vouch for the whole channel, but I really liked this video:

This one is similar:

(Actually begins at 4:30)

Ha, I actually watched some more xcornmuffinx videos yesterday when I was looking for footage on the PSP Yakuza game, but I haven’t watched this one yet though, thanks!

Edit: Now I wanna play Kid Icarus.

Boundary Break is a really fun series where this guy uses emulators to take the camera into bizarre places. Newest episode is my favorite so far:

If you’re not watching this you should be.

2 Likes

My Life in Gaming started out doing VHS-style walkthroughs for modern games with retro aesthetics like Shovel Knight, but has grown into a catch-all resource for getting the best video quality out of games systems.

They just uploaded an amazing 1 hour video about Game Boy video output

2 Likes