Updating Old Junk

So, the first thing I ever got paid for, 22 years ago, was designing six games at a rapid clip for the CD-ROM release of Game-Maker 3.0. I had built up a relationship with the software’s developer, and after a couple of years of beta testing and Q&A they gave me this commission. The results are… well. I was proud of them at the time. I also was sixteen years old.

The most notorious of the batch is probably Peach the Lobster, which was inspired in no small part by Jazz Jackrabbit. The idea was that Game-Maker needed a mascot, so here was a lobster in a track suit. I don’t know; I didn’t have many friends.

It played terribly, and the level design was pretty thoughtless. What thought I put into it was of that novice mentality where it’s such a hoot to make life hard for the player.

So, for no real reason (i.e., to avoid life issues), I’ve recently been tweaking the game in subtle ways. Now, quietly, in this version I’ve yet to unveil, the character controls much more precisely, and the early levels have been adjusted so that they’re not a pain in the ass to play through. I adjusted the distance between platforms, removed some annoying traps, changed a few enemy placements. If you weren’t a huge student of the game you probably wouldn’t notice the changes except that the game didn’t seem as bad as you remembered.

The later levels, though – they’re really garbage. So the process has slowed down while I try to make something out of them. Here’s level 3-1. First, the original:

The map loops left and right, resulting in what at the time I thought was a clever drop way back to the start if you don’t make it across a chasm… that you can’t make it across anymore if you fall, because you’ll have destroyed the bridge. Lots of spikes hidden in plain sight on the floor, like the toys your toddler will strew across the living room. Huge vertical cliff that you need to glitch out the controls to scale. No especial thought to enemy placement.

Here’s the new version, just finished:

There are a few secret passages that, if you look closely, are betrayed by a very slight glimmer to the background tiles. I kept the basic structure of the original, minus the loop-drop, and… well. Tried to make it something a person might enjoy playing through. Some of those stalactites drip water; some wobble then try to fall on you.

Here it is, straightened out:

Any of you revisited super old projects to try to fix things that had always bothered you?

11 Likes

I remember going back to my Street Fighter Vs Jurassic Park comic book that I made and ‘enhancing’ it by adding extra dialogue and character / dinosaur deaths. But the new stuff was way too obvious because I used a different sort of pencil so really I just kind of ruined it.

2 Likes

Looking at your straightened out pictures makes me wish that Mario Maker had an option for making stages loop horizontally or vertically so you could use the space they give you in better ways. It’d be cool to make a sort of tilted tower or a long multi-tiered level.

That’s a cool use of wrapping I had not previously considered!

1 Like

So, hey. I’m making some of my weirdo in-progress stuff available to even the lowerest-tier helpers on my Patreon. If I get to a certain level-per-month, I’ll start to finish this stuff up and put it out there! Because I’ll be approaching a situation where I can survive, which very much helps in the matter of Doing Stuff.

So, if you’re interested in that kind of nonsense. Or the writing I do, or any of my other ineffable pursuits, that is a thing!

1 Like

And, uh. If I still have electricity and/or Internet after this weekend, I’ll put up what we’ve got for the Peach the Lobster update as an early-access thing for patrons.

It’s basically done except the final boss fight and ending, then a final wave of polish, but I’ve had… stuff, the last two years. When I get to a point that’s stable, if that ever happens, I’ll go ahead and finish that last bit.

So, if that sounds cool to you, that’s a thing that can happen!