Unaltered adult Rene

I first played final fantasy iv hardtype using a really bad localization patch that transliterated the cure spell as “keal” and now whenever I think of final fantasy iv I think of Pauline Kael and vice versa

holy shit, not even I can burn someone this bad

8 Likes

Yeah, for real, Jonathan Blow’s writing is god awful. Toby Fox is no literary genius, but I think he’s pretty decent. He’s legitimately quite funny, and his characters have solid pathos, especially Susie in Delta Rune. I’d rate him far above average for an indie game auteur.

6 Likes

i would put just about any individual conversation you have with a silly monster npc in Undertale up against the entirety of Braid

6 Likes

I dunno I just thought it was fun

1 Like

I think it’s fair to say that this particular level of aw-shucks just-about-almost-too-tweeness is absolutely impenetrable to a Felixmind. I don’t think I would’ve cared about either of these games before I had kids.

2 Likes

Woah, I think I suddenly understand why Felix likes Mother 3 more than Mother 2.

1 Like

I will accept being stereotyped as a way to get out of coming across too judgmental but Itoi’s writing has way way way more richness and real sentimentality to it!!!

3 Likes

i had a feeling we’ve had a conversation like this before and hey look シン・[s]ゴジラ[/s]Persona 5 (not) superplay thread

2 Likes

Fair but this time we had the busted post and the tulpa post and I think you’ll agree those were pretty good

Also I love talking about intuitive vs literal characterization per that Godard quote

I’d like to make an argument that making thematic elements literal is actually important and cool but

i don’t know how to talk smart

1 Like
2 Likes

6 Likes

my favorite character in this game is absolutely the worst one and by favorite i mean “i have a crush on them”

3 Likes

1 Like

space%20lancer%20large

how do you feel about my creation?

• Love
  • Hope
  • Disgust
  • Fear

0 voters

1 Like

The Legendary Heroes: The Federation of Fun and Friendship

The people have spoken. So let it be voted, so let it be done.

Anyways, it’s been over two weeks and I still can’t get over Felix’s take ITT – or to be more precise, his specific point that game design is one of Toby’s core competencies, while writing is not. I mean, if anything I’d say it’s the other way around. He’s a talented writer (or joke teller at least), but his success as a game designer is almost wholly dependent on him reducing as much of the task of game design down to telling jokes writing as possible. Undertale is basically 90% bespoke conversation trees, 10% bullet patterns, and basically 0% systemic design.

idk, playing through either of these games without enjoying the writing on a moment to moment basis seems like it would be an absolute slog.

Granted, maybe I’m misinterpreting what you’re meaning/looking for when you say writing. If you’re looking for thematic richness, I can understand why you place Mother 2/3 on a much higher level. Earthbound clearly and incisively critiques real world institutions from the outset (and Mother 3 probably does as well (idk, I haven’t played it still)), whereas any attempt I try to make to approach Undertale from a thematic standpoint is stymied by a thick haze of character infatuations, obnoxious metatextualisms, and silly memes clogging up my brainspace.

tl;dr i can’t have been the only one waiting for felix to pull out the word “cloying”, can i?

4 Likes

On a random note, I was listening to this game’s soundtrack earlier today, but then decided to listen to something else, namely Brandish 2. Curiosity led me to check out the spc set’s metadata, and by golly would you guess who was responsible for the original dump of the game’s music?

Interesting that the convo on this dried up almost immediately. I just played through it and had to do the final boss and post game in silence because I came back to the boss later and had no sound. Youtube occasionaly has reasons to exist.

I am sure you can find posts by me calling Undertale “okay” and well I think anything that makes tough guy nerds mad and has good ultimately good heart about kindness is good. And the bullet patterns were the best thing to happen to shooters until Zero Ranger.

This features one of my most hated things in media “bullies” so it had a heck of a hill to climb. I don’t hate it. I am maybe closer to Felix on this one. You put a bully in front of me and then they get a story about having friends and maybe that just even now makes me tense up and get upset. Bullys in media are much like roller coasters for me. I get negative enjoyment out of them. They do real psychic damage to me.

As one of the last games of 2018 I am glad I played it made me want to go buy the physical Japanese copy of Undertale to put on my shelf. There should be more media like this even if it never sits right with me personally.

6 Likes