Unaltered adult Rene

https://www.deltarune.com

I’ve played like 25 minutes and I keep feeling like I’m about to get dunked on, now I need to work.

Uh

What is this

Is it a screamer

i keep waiting to get screamed at

6 Likes

I work early now, so I’ve just been biding my time until 4.

I only had time to play the beginning, but I got to a save point that automatically recognized and updated my old Undertale save, so that’s pretty cool and bonkers!

It’s also really well done and good from what I’ve seen so far. I’m so curious how long it’ll be. The music in the very beginning is so obviously aping the Giygas music from Earthbound but I’m cool with it.

I’m so annoyed that I will have no time to play this today

1 Like

Create a machine to Thrash Your own Ass

2 Likes

OK, I am seriously loving this and I’m very confused about what it is and where it’s going.

It seems like the makings of a full fledged Undertale sequel that takes the classic RPG sequel move of adding party mechanics. The new battle system is super fully fledged and well done – I particularly like the way you can graze bullets for extra TP. I love that this game is adapting more shmup mechanics for its battle system!

I’m flipping out, this rules.

1 Like

I love the new party members so much, especially the lonely prince. And the music is overall even better than Undertale’s!

i was kinda interested in what this thing was

i wasn’t into the intro much, and i guess it didn’t save either. undertale sounded interesting conceptually but i never ended up playing it. i think i’ll set this down for now and look up more of what it is later

I think I’m almost done with this now, and I think it’s a 2-4 hour long standalone, self-contained Undertale alternate universe side story. It’s really good! Minute-to-minute I think I’m actually enjoying it more than Undertale, and I liked that game enough to own an action figure of the main character.

2 Likes

I’ve still yet to beat the optional superboss. Gonna try that tomorrow maybe.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes of this though.

I just finished it. Didn’t see an optional superboss anywhere, how do you find that?

This was so good, y’all. I loved being able to walk around the Undertale version of Onett at the end and talk to everybody.

The credits said that this was Delta Rune Chapter 1, and said to look forward to Chapter 2. So I guess this is going to be a full on sequel to Undertale? I wonder if this is essentially a demo for a full game to be released in the future, or if future standalone chapters will be released for free online.

That little stinger ending was intense as hell, I did not see that coming at all! Kris ripped his own heart out, threw it in the bird cage, and ran to stab it with a knife. Is that the same ending regardless of how you play? I did a pacifist run. What changes in this game if you DON’T do a pacifist run?

Some favorite moments of mine:

3 Likes

this is the first survey program to make me cry

(it’s really good. also way queerer, somehow)

i played on a computer that didn’t have an undertale save, any insight on what that affects? edit: booting it back up, this game has multiple save slots apparently, curious how it handles that. wow, that title music…

haven’t had the nerve to go back and see if there’s a neutral/genocide route. is that what leads to the optional boss, or did i just miss it?

how is asriel alive? is kris supposed to be the same character as frisk? that was chara’s outfit at the end, there, right?

im excited to see this become a persona game. betting next chapter will have reindeer girl in the party

2 Likes

Okay, so

it sounds like they weren’t kidding around about your choices not mattering this time, if my friend is right that attacked enemies flee rather that die. They also said you have to assemble key fragments to access the optional boss–the glittering fragment from the beginning which I sold is probably one, but I don’t remember seeing any more.

I had to crash before I could get through all the post-game stuff, but it sure seems like this is a story taking place in a world where someone else used the power of determination to prevent the war between humans and monsters from even happening in the first place, right? Or something like that, considering how little the old cast apparently know about each other. It would feel pretty appropriate to Undertale’s themes to make the player return to the world only to find all their work undone by somebody else loading an earlier save from before they even entered the game.

2 Likes

So, I think when I posted earlier that the game read my Undertale save I was mistaken. When I first saved, the time stamp on it was like 47:30, which I thought meant it’d imported my 47 hour playtime from Undertale. But as I played, I saw that number go up way fast, so I guess it represented minutes, not hours. But I’m still totally confused because the number seemed to be going up faster than my actual playtime. But maybe I’m just a poor judge of time.

trying to post but spoiler tag is not working wtf

edit: i guess it doesn’t like linebreaks:

I spent the last 2 hours playing the game instead of working, oops

My ending was, apparently, slightly different? Did your Kris really run to the cage to stab the heart?
Mine stood silently in the room after tearing their heart out, pulled out a knife, and did the creepy grin at the camera.
I played pacifist, though I screwed up and almost let Suzie kill a couple of enemies, who I just pacified.

I’m looking forward to the superfans tearing this apart completely.

i appreciate that my ability to speculate on the ending is limited by me having the screen half turned away in anticipation of a jumpscare (i am a coward)

1 Like

Impressed at how well fans did with the spoiler embargo

1 Like

I love how this is Susie’s story and nobody else’s. Everyone else is pretty static, but it felt like Susie was changing, and on her own terms, not for the player or because of the player’s actions. Susie rules.

Ralsei is annoying and I think he sucks. He’s a soft boy in the worst way, always telling people what to do and criticizing them while pretending to be nice. And he can’t take any criticism himself.

I mean, he’s not that bad, but by the end of the game I was definitely sick of him telling Susie what to do. Lancer was a much better friend.

The end game made me slightly weepy, as does anything to do with Toriel and Asgore.

I have…theories about the end of the game. It seems in line with Undertale’s player-critical themes, and the Deltarune really pushes the idea of getting comfortable with not being in control. If the soul that Kris expels is, essentially, the player, and Chara is a stand-in for the very-controlling player…well, that’s where I lose the plot but it makes sense for Kris to be all oohspookyevil when you’re no longer controlling them.

It was really uncomfortable overwriting Kris’s name the first time I saved. Did not like that.

2 Likes