Twin Peaks

He’s the fucking worst.

Watched The Missing Pieces for the second time today. Almost all of this stuff did deserve to get cut, but it’s a blast to watch. I love all the goofy check-ins with the wider cast. I’d forgotten that Lynch was still trying to make Heidi and Dell Mibbler happen after randomly introducing them in the last episode of the show and acting like they’d always been there. Dell is underrated, imo.

This scene definitely should have stayed in the film though, holy shit:

I’d also forgotten that there was an epilogue to the series tacked on to the end of this. It shows Annie in the hospital with the green ring on, and a nurse taking it from her and slipping it onto her finger. That worked well for me as an “it’s over… or is it?” horror movie stinger. It also added a couple of minutes after Cooper’s famous “How’s Annie?” scene, with Doc Hayward and Truman talking with him. It adds absolutely nothing except that it clarifies 100% that Bob is going to try to assume Coop’s identity. Not really necessary, but fun to watch.

That green ring is such a weird bit of lore, as is the electricity imagery. I’m about to embark on my first rewatch of season 3, and it’ll be interesting to see if I can make any further emotional or logical sense of these, as I do remember them persisting as major motifs.

2 Likes

heidi was in the pilot remember, the finale scene mirrors her pilot scene. I love how lynch brings back characters nobody else seems to care about. mike seems to disappear until he comes back in another lynch directed episode early season 2, he brings back ronette in the finale

5 Likes

Ah, when I did this recent rewatch it was to get my gf caught up, and she’d already seen the Pilot so we skipped it. Totally forgot she was in it!

I was just at a bar that was having a Twin Peaks costume contest. Someone asked if the crowd could tell what her costume was, and some rando in the back yelled out Dell illiciting yucks all around. It was really Mr. C.

2 Likes

My man grew a mustache for the movie!

Or I suppose in the timeline, he shaved it after Laura died. We all grieve in our own ways.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, and regarding Fire Walk With Me:

Cooper says to Laura in her dream, “Don’t take the ring!” But putting that ring on is ultimately what keeps Bob from possessing her and gives her finally some transcendence when she dies and sees the angel in the Black Lodge. Another example of Cooper just not getting it, I suppose. He’s always trying to meddle in metaphysical affairs that are beyond him. He does not respect the gravity and meaning of Laura’s sacrifice and thinks he can prevent it, both here and at the end of Season 3. For such a sympathetic character, it’s interesting to see this one fatal hubris cost him everything over and over.

6 Likes

This is something that’s jumped out at me too. However wasn’t Coop just acting on the Fireman’s plan at the end of season 3?

1 Like

whatever else he and Gordon’s entire department are, and how open they are to intuition and obscure ideas, they are absolutely G-Men, and they inherit all the need for control that represents.

I think it’s very telling that Lynch casts himself as the honcho FBI; as a director, he’s the dreamer but also the tyrant, and the work absolutely involves power applied to human beings. It’s about crushing delicate thoughts down, down, into a dark lifeless imprint on a strip of chemical film

5 Likes

hmmm, developing this thought might help process how I feel about the leeriness of Gordon. It certainly feels like a bit of knowing self-criticism but that’s such a dangerous ground – the well-tread masculine territory of admitting faults as catholic absolution, without change.

I don’t have a good read on how susceptible Lynch is to self-glamorization. The ‘fix their hearts’ scene was right on the edge of gross self-congratulation; it holds a similar sick fascination for me as the self-criticism in Louie and its knowingly-staged confessions hiding a different guilt.

5 Likes

whether at the moment it feels like laura gets ripped from the red room at the beginning of s3 because that’s future/past coop altering the past to begin with, or her getting ripped from the red room is why he alters the past to save her from some terrible post death fate involving judy, eventually even crossing over into some other world entirely to find and confront the unknowable elusive source of these abuse murder blue rose crimes with, changes how sympathetic I feel towards coop by the end of s3

it feels like mr. c defeated whole cooper recognizing naido as diane could be some kind of growth for him from “don’t take the ring” good cooper fragment, maybe

4 Likes

one thing that bugs me about the show is laura is now this obsessive quest of coopers, when there’s more indicating something along those lines going on in chet desmond looking at teresa banks photo on her fridge than in anything cooper does in the original series

1 Like

well, he has had red room leland telling him to find laura over and over again who knows how many times

2 Likes

3 Likes
1 Like

I finally watched FWWM a few days ago and holy shit is that amazing and horrifying in all of the right ways. Goddamn.

9 Likes

7 Likes

wow i think that list is awful. TP, Boonmee and maybe the Oliveira are the only things that would be close for me,

2 Likes

Toni Erdmann is great

Still think calling Twin Peaks a movie is bad.

1 Like