Twin Peaks

why does no one in david lynch movies use their fucking high beams

3 Likes

I’ve been working through Lynch’s filmography in-between new episodes with my roommates! Previously I’d only seen Dune, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire.

Here’s my thoughts on the project so far:
Eraserhead: fucking incredible. But also, I thought I would be prepared for anything after seeing Inland Empire but I was NOT PREPARED FOR ERASERHEAD. it was so upsetting.
Elephant Man: it’s a normal movie! It’s extremely good!
Dune: Still bad, but I enjoyed the hell out of it, unlike my first viewing which was a miserable experience

1 Like

Another exploratory make stuff day at the pit so uhh

2 Likes

Thanks inspirobot

3 Likes

Hard to believe Quake is now Twin Peaks canon…

3 Likes

Not that hard

Reznor has in the past produced the soundtrack for Lost Highway and Lynch directed this music video for him a few years back.

2 Likes

Lynch, Reznor, and Bowie had kind of a 90’s zeitgeist moment together when Nine Inch Nails opened for Bowie on his tour for his goth-industrial album 1.Outside, and then a track from the album was prominently used in Lost Highway.

That album is super dope, btw.

1 Like

I haven’t seen lost highway am I a bad person :frowning:

I remember when it came out my friend had this big poster of it and we listened to the soundtrack but I still never saw it

actually I think I saw like 15 minutes of it once

yeah maybe I’ll knock that one out on sunday

It’s a very good movie! There’s an infamous scene that ranks among his creepiest, at a party. It’s amazing.

I got my first feature into a film festival recently and I was at a similar party. It was full of young filmmakers. This megarich 16 year old dude with long blonde hair and a sleazy down-and-out-in-hollywood outfit showed up and started acting like he owned the place. He kept on talking about what famous actors he resembled, and I told him “you look like every character in Lost Highway”. I felt sort of bad for dunking on a teenager, but I’ll probably never get a better film-nerd zinger off in my life.

4 Likes

what’s your first feature

It’s not out yet, still submitting to festivals and looking for distributors.

6 Likes

I have vague memories of stumbling around what I think was an early twin peaks fan site and not really knowing what I was looking at on the 1995/6 internet around the time I also would of been looking up news on a quake demo

did you all ever hear about the mid 90s cd rom game david lynch was supposed to make once

3 Likes

the song in the episode is really cool

what are the nin songs / albums / epochs that do this psych noise incantation stuff more than synth pop etc

1 Like

Did the woods people (or whatever they were) remind anyone else of that monster behind the diner in Mulholland?

3 Likes

Barry Gifford, who wrote Wild at Heart and Lost Highway, collaborated with Lynch on the Hotel Room miniseries where the first episode’s ending (Stanton’s character is accused of a murder he swears he didn’t commit and his identity is thrown into question) sort of makes me think it was a precursor to Lost Highway

Speaking of Wild at Heart, is Perdita Durango worth a watch?

Kind of a tough one, since it’s a somewhat more recent trend. Obviously their most recent EP has a couple of tracks along those lines, and it has me curious to see if the next two ones are going to follow suit and if this is an Atticus Ross influence. You might have better luck with his and Reznor’s score work and some How to Destroy Angels stuff, on that note. Their work on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a good place to start.

Besides that, try out or revisit The Fragile and Ghosts? Some of the material on The Slip too.

1 Like

Yeah, as Dracko pointed out, it’s pretty recent for NIN, though a lot of the instrumental stuff has hints of it (from Ghosts onward, including the various soundtracks to movies that Reznor/Ross did), though there are also definite shades of it even on earlier stuff. I was listening to the Fragile instrumentals yesterday and it definitely has some of it, mixed in with the industrial.

I’m also going to second the 1. Outside recommendation earlier and add to that Blackstar.

4 Likes