Twin Peaks

It would of been nice but I wasn’t expecting bowie or isaak to come back because I’m pretty sure the first part of fire walk with me is just dale cooper reimagining himself investigating the dead ended teresa banks case as tough guy chris isaak like pete is to fred in lost highway and betty is to diane in mulholland dr

2 Likes

fuck, that’s a neat interpretation.

That Eisenhower.

I just watched all of Twin Peaks while house sitting for a friend. Tried to watch the first episode on youtube once and couldn’t get past the soap-like melodrama and love story, but I now realize this is all part of the wonderful intentional style of the show. Watching the whole series on Netflix, it quickly became my favorite TV show of all time!

I like the way the show handles the subconscious. I enjoy how Cooper is set up as a practical cop, who looks in the reflection of an eyeball in a video to find a clue. Classic. But then that’s contrasted with this dreamy subconscious stuff he engages in. To sort through the stuff he picks up throughout the day but is not consciously aware of, he engages in these mystical meditative techniques.

And then this all continues on within his dreams, in the red curtain room, and then later on even the evil in the town is partially just a reflection of, I think, desires and attitudes on the part of the person’s subconscious, but at the same time, it’s something external like a malevolent spirit that hides in the woods.

TP sort of treats this all like language I think. Where how you express yourself is deeply personal, but also pulls from external system, like words, definitions, and syntax. Something out there away from you. In this series, the subconscious is private, but also out there in the form of the red curtain room and the other supernatural elements of the show. At least this is how it all felt for me.

Never seen such a sudden dip in quality though, ever in any medium. The second season is uncanny in how bad it is. I wanted to watch till the end because I heard Lynch comes back at the last moment, and the final episode is a return to form. But these characters I loved, I was starting to see them on the screen and think to myself “great, it’s this jackass again, what stupid thing is going to say this time?” I would hear the intro music and it began to feel like a cheap trick to make people interested in bad material. I decided that it was not worth ruining the good feeling the show had created and I just skipped to the end.

first time I saw twin peaks was back in like dec-jan 2001-02 I think. I had read some plot guide to silent hill 2 that mentioned twin peaks being an influence on silent hill but their description of twin peaks was some completely misremembered but interesting sounding nonsense (also watched maltese falcon back in august after playing max payne and played mgs2 in january, also this thing called 9/11 had happened, all the building blocks were laid here).

I watched a version of the pilot that was broken in half and goes to credits after he shows the picnic tape to bobby. I only had the first half. I downloaded it off some guy on Direct Connect. I couldn’t ever find that copy or the 2nd half ever again. I couldn’t find any kind of copy of the pilot (the pilot was notorious for ages for being impossible to find except for a bad quality hong kong dvd), but I got lucky and a local video store had the movie version of the pilot, with the added ending. that “25 years later” ending hooked me. then the rest of the show I got off kazaa, had about the resolution of a thumbnail and hardcoded swedish subtitles. now I live in the future and I got 279 gigs of bluray remuxed twin peaks. I still wonder where that two part version of the pilot came form, and why I’d never heard of it before or after, as in demand a decent copy of the pilot was in those days.

Yeah, it really hits rock bottom in season 2. The show was savaged by network pressures and demands, and I think lynch basically disappeared for a whole chunk of it. That guy really hates being told what to do.

I think the best thing about the show is how it creeps into your subconsious when you’re not watching it. You get this really visceral sense that something unknowable and terrible is out there, that it’s constantly lurking in the background, but you only ever get occasional glimpses of it in the show itself. That’s why I find the final episode so nightmarish. It’s like you’re confronted with a darkness that for most of the show you’ve only felt viscerally or subconsciously.

You should watch the film at some point, if you haven’t already! It’s a masterpiece. Though if you’ve only just finished the show, it might be a good idea to leave at least a little bit of time before you watch the film; it’s a somewhat jarring transition.

Is that the other version of the pilot that skips ahead and gives away who the murderer was? I think it was aimed at the video rental market back when whole series sets weren’t practical.

That was the European version I believe.

Fire Walk With Me is probably my favorite Lynch movie so far. Even though they came afterwards, it feels like the culmination of the waking nightmare style of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, though I haven’t seen Inland Empire yet admittedly.

The copy I got from the rental store was the version with the ending tacked on. But the ending is just an extended version of the dream from episode two, it doesn’t really give much away except what the letters under the nails are spelling out and it’s not a dream it’s depicted like the red room is just some place cooper is in 25 years later. That’s also why in episode 3 the next morning when cooper is describing his dream he talks about a bunch of stuff that wasn’t actually shown in the previous episode, he’s describing things from the extended version of the scene.

The version I downloaded before that though was some version of the regular pilot that was split into two different episodes and I’d never heard anything else about it or ever seen any other copies of it again.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1250075580/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RQE4B6SGF8HH&coliid=IPB0W5W0ZUOAQ

did anyone see the new terrence malick joint where it had major briggs speech to bobby about his dream just in the middle of the movie while showing off the rich and empty life of christian bales character and the existential alienating terrain of los angeles or whatnot

3 Likes

fuck did it really

i’ve been putting off seeing this but

malick sucks so bad

ok

is anyone here really going to defend to the wonder?

who cares

this is going to make christmas shopping for everyone’s weirdo relatives so much easier

2 Likes

i hope michael cera plays agent cooper’s 17 year-old son

1 Like

Hyped that my alma mater with be thrice represented, not only again by David Patrick Kelly, but also by Ernie Hudson, and Tom Sizemore(!?).

The Reznors!?

And every day I wake up I dread I’ll hear Harry Dean Stanton died. I hope he keeps kicking.

Giggled like an idiot when I read this

1 Like