Twenty Nineteen

my chemical romance’s last album as a video game

1 Like

just gonna post this again for emphasis because these are so darn good

Capcom’s released major titles in January/February every year for as long as I can remember. Off the top of my head: Mega Man X, Street Fighter 4 & 5, Marvel 3, RE2 & 4, Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 2-4 & DmC…all post-holiday titles.

Dragon Quarter was a February game in America too.

And Code Veronica, but who knows if that date had anything to do with them.

I remember this cuz I spent many birthdays playing Capcom titles, okay. My mom passed a bad check at Electronics Boutique to get me a copy of Mega Man X! I accompanied her. I knew she was taking a risk. I knew…she did it to avoid the huge tantrum I’d surely throw if I didn’t get my #1 dream game as a gift.

Or cuz she loved me, I dunno, maybe 50/50 there.

4 Likes

How the hell do we have this many good games one month into 2019 after the avanlanche that has been going on for like two years.

I recently find my interest in the next Metro game renewed somewhat, they seem to be skewing ever so slightly more Stalker than Call of Duty, which is a relief because the second game sucked in the unique way of something that got too much focus-testing.

1 Like

I’ve been saving Last Light for a hazy weekend, thought it’d at least be a good step forward mechanically so that sounds disappointing. But I liked the setting atmosphere and Artyom’s travels enough in 2033, long as it isn’t a total chore still worth going through? New one is looking good.

I did not make it through Last Light, got really bored a few hours in

1 Like

Last Light has some good parts and is probably worth finishing EXCEPT that they renamed the Nazis to generic fashists and have you try to be friends with them

Fuuuuuuck that

I found Last Light to be a little overly fond of set-pieces and I’m hoping the openish world they’re touting for the latest installment will leave me alone and let me go scavenge things

Is Last Light the one with the weird sex scene? That’s the only thing I know about the Metro series

They have enough finer lining to differentiate from generic fps post apocalyptica I don’t mind trudging through tunnels outposts and ruins, long as the occasional desperate firefight or freak out happens (freak on too from the sound of it?).

2033’s standout moments really stuck with me so if Last Light has at least a few I’ll try it, no big investment. Rebranding the nazism sounds wack but I am interested to see how it comes off.

Got to give it to Fallout they have the mess of open scavenging nailed down. I just want a little more narrative and mystery in Metro’s vein.

I should finally uh also try STALKER it was the number one thing I used to read about and never play in my age on ancient pc, but now long after shiiiiiit

STALKER is incredible. I think that would still be true now and it wasn’t just an artifact of its time, but I can’t be 100% positive. Find out for us!

2 Likes

STALKER
STALKER
STALKER

you owe it to your post-Soviet jonesing

I haven’t played it since 2010/11 but I feel pretty comfortable saying STALKER is still good and if it’s not there are, like, a zillion mods for it now that could make it good again.

I played unmodded Stalker last year and it still owns.

It’s not quite as evocative as it was when I played it 10 years ago but these things happen when you play a game a lot.

I could never have anticipated that Kingdom Hearts III would be this entertaining. I keep finding strange (game design) things tucked away in the corners. The cutscenes are delicious - I crack up every time Goofy punctuates a meditation on The Darkness with Gwarsh or Yuck-Yuck. The Gummi Ship sections appear to be completely nonlinear space exploration. It’s the most maximalist game I can think of.

The only shame is that it still fundamentally feels bad - animations are ropey and collision is shockingly bad for something on UE4 (see rising on Goofy’s shield in Olympus for the worst of it, but also the wallrunning is easily the worst in any game). It’s gesturing towards something like Sunset Overdrive but the timings are all wrong.

OK so just for kicks, I think this is where I’m at by the 1/3 mark

1. Baba
  2. Devotion
  3. Supraland
  4. Kombat

runners up: AC7/RE2/DMC5

looking immediately forward to pathologic 2 and total war 3k

Mine so far is Golf Peaks.

Incredible that for me it is still Zero Ranger.

Followed by Kingdom Hearts 3.

1 Like