TV AfterParty

oh shit i just remembered the completely nonsensical lottery episode where you can take as much money as you want from cash machines, but every dollar is anentry into a lottery where the winner gets killed for some reason

5 Likes

youā€™re thinking of the season 2 episode where its basically the premise of y the last man but even more sexist

3 Likes

Why do you know so much about this show you hate

4 Likes

why do you think I hate it

9 Likes

Knew a dude way back in the day who came to terms with being being gay and that it was ok thanks to the Herc/Xena action hour and he wrote to the Hercules crew to let them know and say thanks. None of us thought it was odd at the time since the letter he got back seemed like it was signed by just whoever was nearby at the time when the letter got opened instead of the stars (buncha stunt people, set design people, Ted Raimi all wrote congatulations on the response) but in retrospect no kind words from Sorbo was a sign.

8 Likes

reservation dogs s2 is absolutely wrecking me, itā€™s a great show. i guess ymmv but it really speaks to me in a way i donā€™t know iā€™ve ever experienced with a tv show before.

4 Likes

my experience of Sliders is that I was over at my aunt and uncleā€™s place in Provo and walked into the living room just as an episode was ending and they slipped into a new parallel universe, and that was basically my introduction to the concept of a parallel universes, and it was fascinating to me

I wanted to see more of the show, but I think we didnā€™t have a Fox affiliate in Pocatello, where I lived, at the time. I kept thinking about the idea, and even made a very bad ZZT game that was the result of thinking about it

never saw the show again. and it introduced me to a sci-fi concept that is honestly pretty oversaturated and boring as of the year 2022 and inspired me to make a bad game, so yeah, probably nothing good about it.

3 Likes

I revisited the show because I had plenty of nostalgic fondness for the premise from seeing the show as a child, though I couldnā€™t remember a single episode.

I still think itā€™s a perfectly serviceable sff premise, it just has to be made by people who donā€™t admire reagan and thatcher.

4 Likes

as well as the failed pilot parallels i mentioned earlier in the thread, there was also a 90s tv movie that got played a lot as filler called crossworlds that i remember enjoying. (but i also remembered enjoying sliders before i rewatched it, so who knows?)

apparently, thereā€™s another failed pilot about multiverse travellers from 1992 called doorways, written by george rr martin, though i haveā€™nt seen it, so i donā€™t know if itā€™s good

3 Likes

iā€™ve watched this way too much

1 Like

this is exactly what started the sliders convo at the end of the previous thread

Itā€™s a lot better than sliders, though I have to rewatch it to determine just how much better it is

3 Likes

Was that the one where the world the family jumped into was a dystopia and the protagonists had to teach people to value ā€˜freedomā€™ by introducing the music of the Beatles?

I donā€™t remember that, I just remember them jumping into a world where all fossil fuels vanished in the 80s

edit: we can all rewatch this grrm pilot, the best tv show grrm ever did

the woman in the thumbnail bites off a copā€™s nose by the 5 minute mark

4 Likes

Okay I rewatched it. Worth watching for Kurtwood Smith scenes and goofy parallel universe shenanigans. No mention of the Beatles. Only one brief scene where bad guys threaten to sexually assault a girl, which is certainly impressive compared to GRRMā€™s usual track record.

Definitely better than Sliders, and I would have continued to watch this TV series if it had gotten picked up. The lead male actor is the weakest part, and its only because of his seinfeld hair.

I want to know who in the casting department decided that the exotic feral woman should just be French but its really funny to see the French othered like that.

The world without fossil fuels makes no sense at all, but its worth it just to have a gang of ā€œbikersā€ pedalling up to a horse-drawn RV in their recumbant tricycles

4 Likes

And a fedā€™s nose a few minutes later! At least thatā€™s implied.

1 Like

Whoa thereā€™s a whole Sliders thread going on?

That show really fell apart in the second season when they felt like they had to introduce reoccurring villains in the form of a shape shifting (and thus cheaply recastable) Roger ā€œI Am The Seaā€ Daltrey, and the bargain bin Klingons, the Cro-mags (not the Street Justice guys). It also started to lean heavily on borrowing of the conceit of whatever movie was big at the time and theyā€™d pop into Jurassic Park world or Twister world.

There is one episode from this era where theyā€™re in a universe where the earth has been overtaken by some sort of toxic gas and the cure is to drink something gross. After administering the antidote this crusty old dude says, ā€œmost folks canā€™t keep it down ā€˜less itā€™s got time to melloowwww.ā€ My dad thought that bit was hilariously cheesy and still will bring it up from time to time.

2 Likes

This reminds me of how much shows of that era really seemed to develop episode plots based on how it would look in the little mini trailers that ran as commercials during other episodes. They would either really drill in to whatever of the moment pop culture stuff they were trying to riff on in the episodes, or, more irritatingly , would be sure to include at least one ridiculous precommercial break cliffhanger so they could put it in the promo to make it seem like the whole episode was really dramatic . I sort of feel like missing out on those promos detracts something from binging TV from that era in the streaming age. But now and then when rewatching an old show you can definitely guess how the promo would have gone. Like, oh, this scene was definitely used to sell it as a Halloween episode even though it is only moderately creepier than the average episode. Or that one line that definitely would have been in the promo to convince you Mulder and Scully were finally gonna smash

2 Likes

the origin of the phrase ā€œTHE SIMPSONS ARE GOING TO _______!ā€

2 Likes

Thereā€™s at least couple X-Files episodes where they dubbed in that wild ass Ninth Configuration scream sound effect into otherwise fairly tame action scenes for the commercial.

3 Likes

the howie scream sounds exactly like chewbacca imitating a TIE fighter

1 Like