TV AfterParty

Continuing the discussion from TV Party (Part 1) - #2022 by Tulpa.

Previous discussions:

I feel that, Sliders was terrible in so many ways. It was like a reverse of the Simpsons, where all of the lore building was done in the attempt to rush towards a big finale on what was essentially a completely episodic show for the first several seasons.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think highly of GRRMā€™s politics but they were a hell of a lot better than Slidersā€™ basic libertarian-conservative lens

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching The Kingdom, a 1990s hospital show by Lars von Trier. Iā€™m finding it entertaining. Itā€™s kind of understated and over the top at the same time. I like how, during the closing credits of each episode, von Trier steps out and comments a little on the episode and the series.

Previously the only things Iā€™d seen by this director were Melancholia (which I thought was decent) and Antichrist (which I still donā€™t think I can offer a coherent opinion on, even years later, but itā€™s not one I can imagine ever recommending to anyone in any context).

7 Likes

i remember that show because it got a shitty US remake, and i am also certain itā€™s the primary inspiriation for darkplace

the shitty US remake i mean

4 Likes

Ah, Stephen Kingā€™s Kingdom Hospital. I remember watching the first couple of episodes when it came out. I was in high school and I was a huge King fan. This was right when he was finally finishing his high fantasy / sci-fi Dark Tower series, and he was in peak ā€œexpanded universeā€ mode. All of his books had little character cameos and lore tie-ins to his other books. Even this remake of a Lars von Trier show tied in to The Dark Tower in a few ways! I remember there was a moment in the first episode where, over the hospital intercom, a nurse paged a doctor with a name that suggested he just might be the villain from The Stand. The darktower dot net forums were ablaze that evening. The show was garbage.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. I was aware that Darkplace referenced some specific show, but I guess Iā€™ve never been curious enough to look up what it was.

(This reminds me that Iā€™ve never watched the movie Airplane! is based on. I probably should at some point.)

2 Likes

all game of thrones shows would be better if every episode ended with a montage of all the things grrm is doing instead of finishing writing the series

5 Likes

just closing credits playing over grrm fishing at sunset, in a comically small rowboat

8 Likes

would watch a Fishing with GRRM miniseries

9 Likes

just put him together with john lurie for half an hour and see what they get up to

6 Likes

i tried rewatching sliders as an adult, and itā€™s just a very boring, stupid show. also thereā€™s a ā€œsoviet americaā€ episode in season 1 where communism is just nazis with a different logo

but i guess they couldnā€™t have used a swastika on us network tv or something?

there was a great pilot/tv movie from the early 2010s called parallels, but unfortunatley, nothing else ever came of it. so i guess the best altenate universes tv show is still magical shopping arcade abenobashi

5 Likes

the sliders guy left tng s1 over ā€œcreative differencesā€ which i have to wonder as such a publicly avowed libertarian if it was just literally having to deal with gene roddenberryā€™s politics. early tng being such an [evolved beyond money and interpersonal conflict] thing sounds like a nightmare to the kind of 90s guy who complains about ā€œpolitical correctnessā€.

10 Likes

Sliders, the one with the awful logo and that guy from Jerry Maguire. That show always looked like it was the scifi equivalent of like, Hercules or VIP so I actively avoided it.

2 Likes

it might have had a brainless nazi as their lead actor, but without hercules, we would have never got xena

5 Likes

Barely related but hereā€™s a v good pic of Xena I came across yesterday:

12 Likes

season 1 also has a ā€˜feminaziā€™ episode (where Hilary Clinton is president lol)

It played out like something out of a Rush Limbaugh rant

Truly nothing good about it

2 Likes

I know this is hard to believe, but it was a lot worse than Hercules

Thereā€™s an episode set in a sky mall where everyone lives and then spends their money in an endless cycle of consumerism, and also a gender swapped version of the main character.

I am not necessarily posing this as being in opposition to your point

5 Likes

WAIT is this the one where Remy becomes a sugar baby to a rich older woman???

Or is there another episode about men being oppressed

2 Likes