turning 360 degrees and walking away: the xbox thread

Dark Void

Well this made me hate Cover Shooters all of a sudden. The game starts you off with a jetpack and you’re flying around shooting enemies, and it’s kinda good and you’re like “i could do more of this”

And then the game goes to 1930’s america and the protagonist - a Nathan Drake ripoff - basically Nathan Fillion - crashes a plane in the bermuda triangle. You find a guy, who dies, and you get a gun. Now it’s time to…shoot robots and duck behind chest high cover. The enemies are bullet sponges and take forever to kill because they duck in and out of cover, and are very thin so they’re hard to hit. There’s like a dozen or so of these encounters. At one point you do one of these shootouts vertically, and it resembles an old timey shooting gallery. You get points to upgrade your gun except, you need a ton to upgrade anything, and you get points from killing enemies except you need to find extra point caches to upgrade, so I’ve found multiple upgrade points and still don’t have enough despite finding several caches and killing every enemy.

maybe this gets interesting. Unreal 3’s tech is neat. I assume you get your jetpack back. this commits a game design sin of showing you something cool and then making you do something boring. Cover shooters, what a plauge. Maybe I’ll check out Gears of War to see what all the fuss was about. Maybe I’ll just curse Cliffy B under my breath.

There’s some level design goofs too. In one section you’re meant to wipe out a bunch of enemies with a turret but instead I jumped down the impassable cliff and tried shooting them with my wimpy starter guns. (you get two, they both do the same thing - poorly) and they just kept coming and I was like “this sucks!”

Then, you come to this village in the jungle, and inside the village a villager takes you in and you find…Nikola Tesla. That’s right our buddy Nikola is back again to make some sci-fi shit for our wacky adventures. This is just like The Order 1886, which also had Nikola Tesla making the electricity guns.

6 Likes

oh sweet, there’s a method to rip disks, which I might do or something, idk.

As someone that played this last week you should absolutely play one more hour to get to the real jetpack area.

1 Like

I figured. you can’t just have a jetpack guy on the cover, then not get back to jetpackin

They have good logic for it because they want to teach you

• How to cover shooter
  • How to vertical platform
  • How to vertical cover shooter
  • How to jetpack
  • How to do all these seamlessly

Like everything about it implies it should be for like 10 year olds, but it has this hardass-adult filter interrupting the tone. And that it like references Tesla and Amelia Earhart.

Nevermind the 3-dimensional gameplay was like too much almost for my stupid brain. I quit because the game froze in xenia, but also I just out right cheated at the first Real Jetpack section, because I had a Jetpack. And I suspected the game was going to start getting really mad at me for trying to solve all my problems with JETPACK.

If it turns out the game is a Jetpack Power Fantasy then it would raise up to a 3 Jetpacks out of 5.

It was another game where the reviews went “it’s like gears of war” and I screamed IT IS GEARS OF WAR YOU CADS.

I think of all these other Just-Gears games as Total Conversions of Gears of War which makes me more lenient on them. I recommend you play as many Just-Gears games as possible before you actually play Gears and get a big surprise.

3 Likes

I was looking for the copy of Guilty Gear II Overture that I won from an Aksys Games podcast but apparently I sold it in 2020. It’s on Steam now so maybe I should just play it there?

2 Likes

I don’t know where all my 360 games went D:

I started looking into what it’s like to mod a 360 in 2024 and dang you still gotta like dump nand and solder in chips and shit!! Xenia… is pretty appealing

1 Like

at the console lan party i went to forever ago someone did havea modded 360 but the process to mod it is very very complicated and out of reach for anyone

My first 360 I reflashed the drive so you could
play burned discs and that was actually pretty easy but I’m too lazy to burn all those discs now

It was going great until a friend stayed the weekend and unknowingly popped in a copy of We Love Katamari that wasn’t patched properly and got my console banned, ah well

5 Likes

i found my rca splitter cable, so I’m gonna try to get some 480i screenshots using my capture card…maybe

2 Likes

I’m looking at a box holding my 360 in the little apartment I call home. I’m thinking to myself, “if I get rid of this, what will I miss out on?” Here is the bifurcated top 12 I tend to invent whenever I’m thinking of a particular console. 6 are games I played.

1. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  2. GTA IV/Rockstar Table Tennis
  3. Gears of War
  4. Dead Rising
  5. Mirror’s Edge
  6. Alan Wake

6 are games I bet would be good for me

1. Dark Souls (lol)
  2. Culdcept Saga
  3. Armored Core For Answer
  4. Lightning Returns
  5. Bionic Commando
  6. Bullet Witch
4 Likes

Someday I’m going to figure out how to host a game of Culdcept

3 Likes

setup seems to work, getting screenshots is messy through elgato’s software. might try something else to take screenshots with

Pac-Man Screen Shot 3-29-24, 1.49 PM

6 Likes

my janky capture setup is a combination of Elgato HD capture and OBS. Elgato doesn’t release drivers for Mac so OBS won’t recognize it. I might try with my surface pro instead. Reason i need OBS is because the screenshot key in Elgato’s software is like 3 keypresses and with OBS you can bind any action to any hot key. Also mac’s file system UI sucks.

so. Dark Void

Rudy’s post made me think the game would get to the jetpack stuff soon and you do indeed get a jetpack

Anyway, Telsa will build you an airplane if you find enough airplane parts. so now you have to traverse the jungles again but with a jetpack. I assumed that if you added a jetpack to the mix that things would get exciting, but no. I was imagining a western made gunvalkyrie for some reason.

the shooting is tedious. Aside from running at 30 (15?) frames a second, tracking targets is really difficult. so many times I miss. The game does have a very light aim assist but it doesn’t do very well. The endless swarms of the same robots don’t help. This game commits the cardinal sin of making upgrade point pickups disappear if you don’t grab them fast enough. The game also give you weapon upgrade lockers more frequently than you’d ever upgrade. I manage to finally upgrade the main machinegun once and the power difference is negligible. At some point I pick up an alien grenade launcher and that makes some combat a bit easier.

another one of this game’s sins is the “press X to not die” quicktime event. which shows up. I have no idea why this persisted for so long, everyone hated it. What were game designers doing in the mid to late 00s?

every combat encounter is a slog. Enemies take too long to die, there’s too many of them, shooting them is a hassle, they look unintimidating, their gun blasts are annoying. etc

One problem with the jetpack is its mainly for gliding. You can gain some initial height from it but you just slowly fall. In one sequence you use it to glide down a very very long chasm. I think they meant to have enemies here but maybe they cut it because reasons? it takes like 3 full minutes to slowly glide all the way down.

another thing is you can glide off a cliff, but you can’t turn the jetpack off to die faster, so you just have to sit and wait until you glide down to the killplane.

Remember Uncharted? well it’s back

I hate this generic protagonist. He’s based off Nathan Drake, who is based off Nathan Fillion. So he’s basically watered down twice. Whenever he’s in peril in a cutscene I just mutter “die, die, die” over and over. During the early part of the first mission he has a radio conversation with the woman about how they broke up.

Well we get the shit and go back to the village. Village is under attack from robots, and I’m like “why does the game depict indigenous people as if they’re stupid, one dimentional, and helpless?” well now we gotta kill the robots, again, because they also stole our ex girlfriend.

“I’m getting pretty tired of this” the protagonist mutters during the 400000th gunfight. Me too buddy.

Like I just hate this shit dawg. I think with a mouse and keyboard and at 60fps it would be less miserable but the thing just plays like molassas. These dark Mayan inspired corridors feel like a PS2 game.

Anyway we get to another big fight which I die several times because there’s zero cover and a zillion enemies around. One of the villagers is there to help so that’s nice. I still don’t have enough to upgrade my main gun to the highest level so the encounter takes a billion years to do.

A cutscene where my capture setup stops working, but soon our fucking hero finds Tesla’s secret other jetpack, which actually lets you fly. Then there’s a tutorial level where you fly around in the jetpack, and it’s pretty nice.

I’m going to pretend it’s 2008, I’m going to pretend I’m a consultant from Capcom and I’m playing a rough demo of Dark Void at Airtights offices. I’m going to pretend i played through all that and got to the jetpack section after several hours of playing through 3rd person garbage.

“Ok here’s what you’re going to do: you’re going to cut all of the 3rd person Gears of War garbage. This is a jetpack flying game now. you should spend 75% of the game flying the jetpack. You should start with the jetpack. You should stay with the jetpack. All levels are these open area flying levels. Maybe you once in a while land and run into an area and shoot some stuff on foot. Add multiplayer flying and shooting, even if it sucks. Do not start the game with jetpacks then make the players crawl through the mud for several hours to get back to it” and yeah I am taking several liberties here with the realities of game production but I can see a version of this game that/s 7/10 instead of 5/10. Perhaps this game was a huge jetpack game and Capcom insisted they add Uncharted and Gears Of War garbage to it to stay “competitive”

I might jump back in and try the jetpack levels because the last sections were a total slog. I worry that the game will also go back to Gears Of War garbage again, and if it does I may just quit out. I will need a better capture setup though too.

7 Likes

Really going out their way to learn all the wrong lessons from Shenmue. What a decade.

4 Likes

“learning all the wrong lessons from older better games” sums up a fucking lot of that era

[i promise i fully understand the irony of this in 2024 but] first playing Dark Souls (ON AN XBOX 360 ITS RELEVANT) hit so hard because it was a complete rejection of design trends that were saturating the water at the time, like inescapable. i remember ppl on SB 1.0 constantly complaining. and specifically in this case about waypoint markers and pointless minimaps and every game being infested with QTEs. From Software themselves released fuckin NINJA BLADE right before Demons Souls which is a mid 00s action game cliche checklist, the only thing thats missing is cover shooting

Btw Jed u should add Ninja Blade to your list

9 Likes

I thought about trying Ninja Blade but figured if any game was gonna act wonky on an emulator that was it. Ninja Blade owns.

4 Likes

would youuuu believe I have never played Dark Souls? if I can find a 360 copy I’ll try it out. I keep meaning to get to it. it feels like MGS levels of unplayed. I did play a bit of Bloodborne though so I’m not totally unread but, hm, yeah the original. Ninja Blade too.

I have told myself i gotta play at least a few hours of each game before I buy new ones so I got a few titles to get thru.

4 Likes

speaking of waypoint markers: Dark Void has em. even though levels are linear they are that easy to get lost in so they’re helpful, ish.

1 Like

the original unpatched release of Dark Souls has so many good busted/glitchy mechanics i miss it

My weird specific XB360 shout out is the gamepad, specifically the wired one the first i had that could plug-and-play games on PC. its super easy to plug-and-play, its chunky and satisfying in the hands, it has cute jellybean looking buttons and nice clicky sticks and triggers. (Kinda shitty D-pad and shoulders though.) but that was the controller that upped my fuckin emulation game after years of doing everything on keyboard lol

god i wish i had an OG XBOX first gen style wired pad, a big beautiful boy

3 Likes