there are two kinds of people in this world. the ones who still subscribe to print media. and the ones who've actually seen breasts.

I wonder if the first draft of that Banjo Kazooie ad was a riff on the that’s where god carried you thing.

1 Like

My subscriptions in their time were to Nintendo Power and Tips & Tricks. I was online pretty early, and so I ended up getting a lot of my news / gossip rag through some classic Web 1.0 sources. NP had the sweet posters though, and at a point in time I had an entire garage plastered wall to wall with them.

I end up consulting old magazines more now than I ever did, as part of research for my writing. Often times, they’re the only sources for games that ultimately got scrapped [and have yet to even make their way to Unseen64], or interviews with short-lived studios that nobody has bothered to transcribe for posterity. I’ve spent a fair amount of time OCR-translating my way through lots of the mid-90s Japanese mags, trying to get fuller stories on the likes of Death Crimson or track “Reader Race” data or what have you.

Of course, I come to this thread not to share anything of actual value or merit. Instead, I’m here to share perhaps the worst games magazine ever published – an absolutely unreadable, entirely tasteless, completely useless monthly that was reviled even in its day. I present, for your disapproval: Foul: Videogame Subculture. I’m friendly with the folk who preserved a pair of its issues (7 and 8), who still worry if preserving it was even the right thing to do. All I can say is that it needs to be seen to be bemoaned.

It at least it beats having to read neo-Nazi rags to research for my latest piece!

7 Likes

I had looked through a few issues of Foul, and decided against posting anything from it.

2 Likes

…the fuck?
EcjVwyYUwAMB7do

7 Likes

i loved reading gamefan back in the day. dave halverson shaped who i was as a game

Get yelled at because the TV remotes are always dead.

shut up go away how would i know why the batteries in your remote are dead it’s your tv

2 Likes

STD is gonna make you sweat
Sweat till you can’t sweat no more
And if you cry out
It’s gonna push it push it some more

5 Likes

Remember when Popful Mail almost became Sister Sonic?

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of Hero Illustrated. I assume it didn’t last too long.

dang, i didn’t know we had wrist phones in 1993.

6 Likes

really like popful mail but I wish we could have at least seen sister sonic

2 Likes

DO YOU REMEMBER HOW MANY SLICE OF BREAD YOU’VE EATEN

8 Likes

2020-11-06 14.15.50 archive.org 203187da41c2

oh boy
OoT blood change

2 Likes

source

8 Likes

God bless, Elliott. I can’t even imagine the shit he must’ve got for that in the 90’s. A warrior hero

4 Likes

10 Likes

2020-11-21 13.29.48 archive.org 9343ffa1fb0c 2020-11-21 13.30.00 archive.org cbae1f00daec 2020-11-21 13.30.08 archive.org 5c5e5bf000ea

5 Likes

graham finch has the right of it

2 Likes

Does anybody know who the fuck Fritz is? I assume this is trying to pull a “Haunting Starring Polterguy”, but you don’t play as Fritz, and the way everything for Brain Dead 13 insists on mentioning Fritz would lead you to believe that Fritz is some popular, pre-existing character, but as far as I can tell, he isn’t? Unless he’s some insanely popular cartoon in France or something.

Speaking of France…

3 Likes

If it’s cool I want to post some pics of old video game ads in comic books

4 Likes

4 Likes