there are two kinds of people in this world. the ones who still subscribe to print media. and the ones who've actually seen breasts.

let’s talk about video game magazines.

in the 90s, i only had subscriptions to tips & tricks and eXpert gamer, but i’d get to occasionally buy stuff like OPM and EGM and stuff. it wasn’t until the early 2000s that i was able to subscribe to other magazines. i think it was expert gamer that alerted me to harvest moon 64’s existence, as well. i remember going to my therapist and telling her about the game and my therapist convincing my mother to get it for me because of its “social” aspects. probably the only good thing to come out of therapy as a kid.

I had an issue of eXpert Gamer with this ad on the back, and I was obsessed with it. this was one of the last games i really remember feeling excited for before my depression took hold (I’ve already mentioned this a million times here, though).

Remember haivng to pay $50 for a VHS copy of the Gatchaman reboot because you only had a 56k connection so it’s not like you could pirate it off of usenet?

i loved gmr mostly for its visual style.

19 Likes

I approve of this thread

1 Like

i ambiently read these a lot as a kid to the extent that me and a friend drew comics which had “cheatcode” pages full of absolutely spurious cheats, some for games i had only read about and some that were just wishful thinking (plok codes…)

most fascinating to me is the second one which includes a cheat code to “see princess peach nakad”. you will have to take it on trust that i was not very interested in these things at 7 years old, so i’m pretty sure it was just aimless mimicry of the endless tomb raider nude code articles i remember seeing in GamesMaster or whatever at the time, including the weirdly intimate framing

13 Likes

Sorry, we ran out of cheats, but heres a groovy cheat…enjoy.

4 Likes

See Princess Peach’s Peach

♫ walking on the beaches looking at the princess peaches ♫

1 Like

Playstation’s official magazine in the UK (PSM/PSOM) always had pretty memorable covers but not always ‘aesthetically pleasing’.

2 Likes

Gonna find my videogame magazines and see if i can find any funny covers tomorow.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to do a proper post for months about this magazine a friend gave me.

5 Likes

danzig bitching about comics!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Danzig talking shit on Klaus Janson is hilarious and so true. I still have both the Spawn/Batman crossover books and the Image book is just leagues above the DC book lol.

1 Like

i think danzig’s big dream has always been to play wolverine. i bet he haaaates huge ackman.

1 Like

these were in every magazine with an item photoshopped out and something else put in place depending on the year, month, magazine, etc. eventually jaguars and super nintendos were replaced with playstation and nintendo 64s.

4 Likes

I knew a guy who used to enter those. I think they kept milking you for a couple bucks every round you progressed to.

1 Like

(thought these trucks were supposed to be fucking)

never occurred to me that eidos’ death trap dungeon is their own tecmo’s deception.
I miss this cherry coke design!

8 Likes

didn’t know official saturn magazine in UK included the entire first disc of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

6 Likes

super play was a brit snes magazine with a focus on imports, particularly jrpgs. as importing meant sending 70 quid postal orders to some mail order place in bristol this stuff wasn’t really accessible to me at the time but the jarpeg content in every issue primed me for zsnes and that genre taking a hold over here with ff7

still mad seeing will overton’s cover art with characters from dq and front mission
like mate it’s the snes in europe, lucky we got mario world

6 Likes

I love “BETTER THAN FINAL FANTASY?” and all of the equivalent headlines (“DOOM KILLER?!” “MARIO 64 KILLER???”) and how they always took way bigger swings than the clickbait we have now.

1 Like

do any video game magazines still exist?

edge is still going yeah

1 Like