the zodiac ache

this talked me out of caring about the remaster

2 Likes

as a pixelherder of yore i did enjoy this piece

word

remasters are almost inevitably worse than emulation (and not even just from a preservation authenticity or cost perspective), I will shout it from the mountaintops forever

I think the character textures in XII are mistakenly high-detail; on a PS2 they look like a noisy mess 90% of the time. They look great on an emulator at 2x resolution, of course, but thatā€™s not what they made them for. Simpler, cleaner clothing would have looked better most of the time.

And I still donā€™t know what Vaanā€™s tan lines? are supposed to represent.

The rearranged soundtrack still makes this easily worth it to me. Once I get a PS4. In five years.

2 Likes

i donā€™t hate the remaster. i certainly wasnā€™t expecting them to repaint background textures, and i donā€™t find the texture treatments offensive, and two jobs actually makes the job system workable!

i also think itā€™s given a lot of people the opportunity to give the game a second look and opinions seem much more favorable this time around, so iā€™m happy about that. i always thought the game was ahead of itā€™s time.

2 Likes

Also Iā€™d be very happy if one day all arguments coming from a point of ā€œaesthetic honestyā€ could be eliminated. The author has a point but I stop caring as much once Materialistic Truth starts being appealed to, even a little bit. All I care about is the end result and what I think looks good or fine.

4 Likes

Radiator is great but heā€™s been an academic long enough that his writing now reads like dogma. I have enough attachment to him that I translate it back from irreducible statements, but itā€™s grating, especially when it exposes the professional/academic divide, or, when he demands an industry has been doing it wrong.

2 Likes

Eh, I barely agree with this at all.

ā€œnegation of the gameā€™s legacyā€. Are you for real?

EDIT: Lol, didnā€™t realize it was radiator. I can see where his stance comes from but yeah, this reads as too academic to be taken seriously.

The best is that you can swap between three versions of the soundtrack, including the original, at will.

I actually really like how the PS4 version looks as well. This game is lovely.

The trial mode also starts getting interesting in the 20s, when they start messing with Battle conditions and such. I made it to 30 out of a hundred so far, and I plan to keep messing with it.

wait three? Iā€™m only counting two, unless thereā€™s something secret i missed?

it remains very impressive what they were able to do in the original with only 4mb of texture memory to work with.

If it is three versions Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the PS2 soundtrack (which didnā€™t sound that great), the OST soundtrack, and the newly arranged/semi-live soundtrack.

Which soundtrack is the default?

Iā€™ve been watching a letā€™s play and I didnā€™t find myself hating the music as much as when I played it the fisrt time round. Some tracks are still a bit too prominent for my taste, but the majority is more pleasant than I remembered.

the rabanastre town music still gets stuck in my head constantly

it got stuck in my head after reading that sentence!

Iā€™m not saying I would do this but if you come to the meetup be prepared to be woken up by someone shouting ā€œIā€™M CAPTAIN BASCHā€ in your ear

Welcome to Vaanā€™s ASMR page

scratches nails on windscreen

uhhh donā€™tā€¦ believeā€¦ ondoreā€™s liesā€¦ okaaaaay?

2 Likes

Donā€™t eat all of Ondoreā€™s pies!

2 Likes

There was a DLC code in the box with mine to get the OST.

ah, okay. i was thinking thereā€™s some some third in-game option I missed.

The remastered soundtrack treats some of my favorite tunes a bit too different for my taste so Iā€™ve mostly stuck with the original, I wish the original soundtrack with the missing audio channels was an option.