the x-files

The first episode was kind of wack.

This one had some cutesy dialogue between Mulder and Scully, but the Matrix/Russian PMC/clue trail threads made the episode feel way too busy.

Because Iā€™m that asshole, Iā€™m skating over this right now and instead watching a Swedish uncanny procedural prestige series called Jordskott.

A couple episodes in, and I think that was a good call. Itā€™s got its problems, but it kind of reminds me of that one season 1 episode of The X-Files, stretched out to ten hours and crossed with Broadchurch.

Jordskott is an obscure term in Swedish that, best I can tell from cross-referencing several things, refers to a kind of frost heave.

The word ā€œjordā€ is related to ā€œyardā€ and ā€œearthā€ (one of those words that came to us more than once, at different times); ā€œskottā€ is related to ā€œshotā€ and ā€œshootā€. In this case, in the plant sense.

5 Likes

After a rocky start, the third new X-Files episode felt right. Aside from those parts, it felt like it could have come from 1995.

Next week is the requisite comedy episode. Despite loving the first couple times they tried this, I got really worn out on these once it seemed like they were going for this vibe half the season. Iā€™m pretty hopeful for this one though.

1 Like

Absolutely fuckinā€™ beautiful

Canā€™t have been a Chris Carter script, then.

1 Like

Nah, Morgan of course.

1 Like

Chris Carter is to The X-Files as Dave Halverson is to Play Magazine.

2 Likes

i didnā€™t watch the rest of the season but yeah iā€™m basically fine with accepting episode 4 as an ending to the series

loved that darin morgan not only brought back the episode he was in during the forest gump part but had this character he invented murder him onscreen thatā€™s actually some next level metatext lol

all this stuff is also accidentally extra poignant after that whole new york times article outlining the ufo program

EDIT: really enjoyed how the very structure of the episode itself felt like it was mr. they slowly retconning reality to make any sense

2 Likes

Last nightā€™s ep was basically ā€œten black mirror episodes at the same timeā€ but i liked it

also lol

2 Likes

Of course Nevada would have some secrets!

This season rules.

1 Like

The Poseidon Adventure theme karaoke scene was so goood!!!

The episode had problems, but I gotta give it props for having Mulder completely ignore a UFO because heā€™s more focused on committing mass murder for William.

whoa whoa whoa they actually named the last several episodes ā€œMy Struggle IIā€ and ā€œMy Struggle IIIā€ and so on? the x-files is ripping off knausgaard now???

carterā€™s been using that title since this whole reboot began back in 2016

1 Like

That finale was a whole new level of embarrassing