The Vidgam-est vidgam

Ok guys, new podcast idea:

1 Like

Robotron X

I wanted DooM to be the answer but itā€™s just not, itā€™s just barely too concerned with explaining itself, youā€™re the space marine on mars moons and hell opened up from ancient technology etc. Quake would be a better contender if not for the NIN fetishization.

1 Like

Specifically, Robotron X while listening to Fat of the Land on full blast and Henry is downstairs leveling your Super Mario RPG characters

3 Likes

Surely the videogamest videogame is just Final Fantasy VII, right?

I can tell this is a charming anecdote so I donā€™t want to be pedantic or anything but who the heck needs to grind in super mario RPG

1 Like

Culex I imagine. Or doing silly things like jumping 100 times for the suit.

1 Like

you can totally beat culex with regular endgame levels if you get the lazy shell and whatnot

1 Like

I wanna strike Yakuza from consideration. I mean god, great games. But any game with damn near a half an hour cut scenes of dialogue multiple times in a game means thereā€™s gotta be stronger contenders.

To me the most VIDEO GAME-Y is Pac-Man CE DX+
That is pure vidjia.

actuallyā€¦ ya letā€™s!

As someone who got stuck against the Axem Rangers for a decade or so because they were drastically underleveled/poorly equipped, yo.

pretty sure smrpg is the only jrpg iā€™ve ever played in which i never needed to grind, ever

though thinking about it idk, iā€™m probably forgetting one or two

maybe small(er) cuba was doing a mario-only run. right out the womb, a true doom murderhead. (true womb murderhead?)

2 Likes

These are things we could have figured out if not for the fact that:

1. Robotron X and The Prodigy were calling us from the upstairs, and
  2. All of our Super Mario RPG time was instead spent trying in futility to make a tadpole song ending that didnā€™t sound accidentally awesome.
1 Like

I mean, Robotron X only has two players. What else was Henry supposed to do?

Disgaea is a very vidgam-y vidgam. I guess that fits into the Mechanically Obscure category I invented.

Itā€™s also very anime though, so I guess itā€™s diluted and not truly the vidgamest vidgam

1 Like

To this day it still saddens me that they had to add so many frills to each new iteration of Disgaea. I loved the first but never could get as into the newer ones.

this will not stand! GET ANIMU OUTTA ME GAMES>

Look man, the first Disgaea was about the ludicrous numbers you could possibly get against typical RPG stats. It only makes sense that each iteration after that is about adding another layer of ridiculousness to it, otherwise it loses the charm of BIG numbers and it would just be yet another anime RPG in a glut of anime RPGs.

Highly suggest Phantom Brave or other spinoffs if you want to get a similar experience to the original Disgaea.

This is scary. My first idea for the videogame category was also Super Hexagon (and then Tetris) and for a movie I immediately thought of Hot Fuzz, too. It is the movie-est movie by far. I think that Tarantino probably wanted to make the movie-est movies of all time but he certainly failed

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is probably the novel-est novel I have ever read. Granted, I havenā€™t read nearly as many novels as some/most of yā€™all

1 Like

That is so PSX. I remember the time the Official Playstation Magazine had a video for Firestarter on their disk. The 90s ruled.