The Shooting 20XX Part II: Simple 1500 Series

Last night I completely unexpectedly fell in love with Gun Frontier. = o

7 Likes

Cleared Gradius 2 on Famciom. I think Gradius might be good actually.

Supposedly this version is the single best Gradius to start with. The limited hardware demands some restraint in suicidal bullets and pirouetting robots.

I abused the Konami code but when the latter stages almost demand that you restart the entire level after dying and powering down your 30 lives become a burden.

On to Gradius 1 PCE next.

6 Likes

https://www.4gamer.net/games/821/G082139/20240724026/

Ex-Compile making a famicom hori shooter.

5 Likes

Changeable Guardian ESTIQUE

Rather harsh boss hitflash strobing.


Interesting Famicom.

They did have to put girls in maid outfits in it. I wonder if shmups will get over that some day. ; P

2 Likes

sharp twin famicom!

5 Likes

Ah, thanks! Love that orange color, too. ^ _^

5 Likes
6 Likes

https://x.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1828401836853797005

Eartheon playable at PAX West. I had to stop looking at the footage in the tweet because I got too excited I need to lie down.

7 Likes

Under Defeat gets yet another port! Wiggle to the left, wiggle to the right.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a 1cc of ddp doj. I’m getting there! Despite loving stgs I’ve never 1cc’d one, so I made it a personal goal this year.

I can pretty reliably clear the game with three continues, and I’ve had several clears with just two.

Last night, the sports team I follow had a devastating loss in a prelim final. I didn’t know what to do with myself afterwards so I fired up doj. I very nearly 1cc’d it right then and there! Got to the final boss on one credit but tried to be a bit too cute when I should’ve just bombed the shit out of him. It was oddly synchronous with my team’s narrow loss in the prelim final.

I’ve noticed that my best attempts are usually the first ones on any given day. Subsequent attempts, especially in the same sitting, usually go downhill.

A challenge I’m having is recovering from deaths, especially when they happen in surprising places. Those surprising ones can really do a number on me. Like in that near-1cc clear, I got to the stage 3 cannon without dying, but then got hit by one of the bullet shells after I’d done the hard part, which has never happened to me before. It can take a second to get over the shock of a death like that, and in that little window I’m very prone to just fully capitulating.

17 Likes

New Blue Revolver update BLUE REVOLVER DOUBLE ACTION changelog

2 Likes

New Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings in the works.

The legend of Mao Mao will never die.

6 Likes

I missed a Cho Aniki “Collection” (two roms) coming out.

1 Like

be fair, one of them is a disc image

but yeah they could (should) have included the fighting game, the psp remake of the first game, and the digitised photo ps1/saturn game

1 Like

Just 1cc’d ddp doj! Here’s a video of the run. [edit: found the full recording!]

I lost a really unfortunate ship on the stage 2 mid boss, which would normally be reason enough to end the run. But luckily I decided to press on.

I wasn’t playing for score, just survival. I ended with no ships remaining, so was on the brink. I hadn’t realised this, but I guess if you lose a certain amount of ships on one credit you’re not able to do second round. So I was a bit surprised when the game didn’t carry over to second round on completion.

Not sure what to do next! Maybe try satisfy the requirements for second round (although I’m not crazy enough to attempt a 2-all)? Maybe 1cc ketsui? Deathtiny awaits…

16 Likes

holy hell! Congrats

Thanks! Gotta say, after my journey with ddp doj, I think I’m basically a cave person now. I’ve tried going back to some of my old treasure/raizing/taito favourites since getting into ddp doj (and ketsui to a lesser extent), and they just don’t feel right! Treasure’s stgs are too academic, raizing’s too brutal. I still love them, but cave just hits different.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I need to check if the US version of twin cobra is as different as the US version of the arcade game. And then wonder which they are releasing here.

2 Likes