The Shooting 20XX Part II: Simple 1500 Series

Have these gotten any better? I tried and refunded the first pack because they were so clearly just ROM + MAME that I might as well just download the original.

3 Likes

I love it when they sell me the ROM. ^ _^ Now I just I’d just like them to do that for Snow Bros. = D

1 Like

Oh shiit you got a PCB? How much did you pay?

Who else finds it confusing that Bitwave does these cheap emu releases while M2 is slowly doing their own luxurious remasters packaged as individual purchases NOT on Steam

2 Likes

That’s not my picture! The guy who beat them on the 360 port did it live at a-cho

1 Like

Me, I do. I assumed the post about the Toaplan collection was an M2 release.

3 Likes

Rolling Gunner went on sale on the Switch for the first time like ever, so I finally got it and it’s pretty good. The DLC mode makes the game weirdly too easy, but the base game is solid.

3 Likes

thanks for the head’s up on this, I went ahead and bought it. just the normal version though, not really sold on paying money to make a game easier. I wish there was a bit less of a disparity between The Real Game and novice mode, because normal is hard as balls! novice mode made me feel like I was working, but ultimately I got the novice 1CC the first time I turned the game on, so I wasn’t actually working. but it was quite fun, and maybe that’s good enough for a novice mode. dealing with 360 degree enemy spawns and option aiming while navigating patterns this dense is certainly a learning curve.

2 Likes

Yeah the DLC adds a new mode that makes it a dual stick shooter, and adds a few mechanics to that. It’s OK, but the base game is what I keep coming back to.

1 Like

You weren’t kidding about novice mode being easy. Just 1cced it the first try as well. Still pretty fun though.

oh wait, there’s a casual mode that’s between normal and novice. I didn’t, uhh, even see that one somehow. casual feels a lot more condescending than novice, but whatever! I played it, it’s harder than novice, and I didn’t 1CC it! Didn’t even get to the last level! auto bomb still doesn’t deplete your stock, so it’s still very lenient, but the patterns are a lot closer to normal. I’ll probably put in some practice on that one.

2 Likes

This Devil Blade game is very good. I like the colors, the patterns, the trails that precede enemy shots, the boss reconfigurations, and the transitions between stages.

I never once reached Berserk Mode so I can’t comment on that. Maybe that works only when you play on a difficulty other than Easy because there just isn’t enough to shoot at otherwise?

2 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to Aleste Branch, and I just now learned that there’s another new Aleste game (Senxin Aleste) that was released only in arcades in the middle of pandemic isolation.

I’d also like to try GG Aleste 3, but there’s no North American digital release of Aleste Collection and I don’t know that I want to spring for a physical copy just for that game. (I’d be much more tempted if the collection included Space Megaforce and maybe Blazing Lazers.)

Maybe Aleste Branch will be part of or released in connection with a second collection that includes these other games.

5 Likes

you can buy it digitally on the japanese store. it’s also a native game gear game that can be played as such, if you know what I’m saying

3 Likes

Any good list of shmups on steam to look at during the steam sale? Akai Katana is still expensive! I was looking at a game called Angel at Dusk that has a very goofy sense of humor despite it’s guro aesthetic.

Summary



Note: They had already previously claimed to have mathematically solved shmups in their older game Steel Vampire.

Summary

2 Likes

Radiant Silvergun is like 8 bux. I don’t like it but it’s gotta be popular for a reason.

if you missed the SB love for Crimzon Clover or ZeroRanger they’re both on sale too.

oh, Eschatos is great too!

1 Like

Oh, I thought I had Crimzon Clover and Eschatos already but I guess not, so thanks for the reminders. But I was curious what are all the smaller shmups from the past half decade that I’ve probably never heard of, as I haven’t kept my ear to the shmup scene in a long time. If only Steam tags were useful at all…

1 Like

Devil Blade Reboot is the new hotness.

Oh Andro Duros 2 is less than 3 dollars right now. That was “The Last 3DS Game” and like a Neo Geo? Who knows. Someone will…for three dollars.

2 Likes

Revolver360

1 Like

Crimzon Clover, ZeroRanger, and Devil Blade for sure. But also don’t miss Grand Cross and Drainus.

3 Likes