The News Grandmaster 4000

it has a good sense of level spectacle and does at least something to break out of the mold. but bullet time and desperation overcharge as singular means of smoothing over difficulty just aren’t as exciting to me compared to the many many different mildly-unwieldy movement boost options fangames have gestured with over the decades as means to express skill and also still dodge more easily (also the golem up there’s punches are not really telegraphed without the former, ugh.)

also mega’s voice is bad and the disappearing blocks aren’t aligned to popping out of a grid as was their original intent

am I just being needlessly picky after 4 Minus Infinity and Super Fighting Robot and 5 Air Sliding and Rock Force showed off a much more interesting sense of perspective, and judging Too Much from a trailer, should I just make a thread imploring sb to play those instead

it’s not like anybody playing 1-8 was ever looking at them with a critical lens anyway and all anybody can compared this to is the trainwreck of MN9 anyway

sigh

3 Likes

to a non-fan like me that looks pretty nice. The graphics are appealing and especially block man looks dragon questesque. Perhaps bullet time is going to make it less hardcore, which I would like, because I’m not into punishing difficulty… But then again, I’m not a mega man fan and my opinion is uniformed

that’s curious, what does that mean?

wasn’t 9 pretty good compared to 10 even if the retro-ness of it was kind of poorly conceived?

Mega
Man

is not

Mighty
Number

3 Likes

(also mm9 was better than 1-6. every weapon being useful instead of Aim Weapon or Charge Shot taking over everything, making consciously playfully-mean levels instead of brandishing massive difficulty spikes, and trying out Endless were all extremely valuable pushes forward. the only value 1-6 have when playing them this year instead of decades ago are in nonreplicable nostalgic dramatics with e.g. dragons and devils and a sliding scale of personal position against how the games slid over from spiky and unrefined to formulaic and overcautious. 7 crashes against the change in screen dimensions and the production issues produced unpolished giant spikes again, 8 has excessive enemy-stage overlap and overdoes vehicle segments for the fortress, 10 innately lost people just by wearing out 9’s gimmick. they still have their individual key virtues but they also have gaping holes. don’t @ me, but do stop me.)

8 Likes

I was mostly being a cute because I don’t know that banking takes up most of your time in the game, and it more evoked how the game is a weird mishmash of systems and ideas.

But basically everything in that game costs a ton of money so a big part of generating funds is depositing your money into your bank and applying different investment options for variable levels of returns. You can’t lose any money and you can’t track markets or anything; the game will just randomly generate returns within a range of percentages within a range of potential amounts of time, depending on what options you chose.

Part of the reason everything costs so much is that, considering in the game you are just playing an MMO, the MMO’s shops’ stocks suck compared to loot drops and you can instead op to buy stuff off other (NPC) players who are hawking goods at ridiculous prices for profit. But since they’re supposed to be regular players they don’t show up as shops on the map; you just have to know where they like to hang out in town. So you keep finding new “shops” to buy stuff you previously thought you had to grind for. As long as you keep building your savings and accruing interest you can buy lots of stuff instead of trying to grind for them.

1 Like

Alerting @boojiboy7

Now I am just imagining this as a One Piece game with the really uncomfortable flesh eating of Pandora’s Tower and I don’t even know.

4 Likes

Interesting! I asked because I got flashbacks to Black Desert Online, where you can do some sort of banking too. I can’t remember the specifics of it, though

I don’t fux with MM

Not instead, but you should do this also.

2 Likes

imho, nothing beats Steambot Insider Trading: Tollmaster Edition on the PS2. however, i never figured out whether that was supposed to be the relaxing, non linear adventure part, or the bad guy thing.

1 Like
6 Likes

Team Sonic Racing combines the best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing as you face-off with friends in intense multiplayer racing. Race together and work together as a team by sharing power-ups and speed boosts. Take control of your racing style – Choose from 3 distinct character types and unlock game changing vehicle customization options to suit your racing style. Speed up. Gear Up Team Racing at Sonic Speed!

Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.

Team Racing Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.

Performance & Skin Customization Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.

Wisps – 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!

Adventure Mode Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.

Various Characters and Classes 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.

1 Like

15 characters would cover all the playable ones in Soinc 2006 + Eggman, Cream, Big Cat, Metal Sonic and then you’d still only have room for 1 Chaotix. Not much room for surprise there.

Team racing combinations could be neat? Has any other racing franchise done anything that sounds similar, @SONNICK ?

hmmm, kinda:

forza motorsport introduced that club-thing with part #3 or #4, where you could race for ‘your’ team, and even grind for experience points of your team when driving solo. then theres the blue <=> red thing where you are assigned/chosing one side.
horizon-series: same.

R Racing touched the team idea a bit afaik, but i never got so far into the story with the few hours i had with it.

Some of the more recent F1 games have a team Championship-thing iirc?
Abnd I think at least one of the earlier EA titles had some kind of mission mode where you had to fulfil a team target.

not sure:
I would expect the recent NASCAR games to have some kind of bump-drafting/alliance kind of thing where cars of your stable are more likely to align with you than, say, arch enemies™?

Also would expect the Touge Racing series to have at least some kind of tesm score going on.

different take on this: mariokart GC, where two players are sharing one kart

The most important question on this: is it made with Sumo? Or just Sonic Team? Or…someone else?

Even more important, does it have a corny 90’s vocal Eurotrance soundtrack for me to love?

1 Like