The News Grandmaster 4000

Windows now, finally, in 2018, lets you redirect audio to different outputs per-application at a system level

10 Likes

A little bit I groaned as soon as I saw the Hyper Light Drifter dash

someday windows’ usability will catch up to linux

Wait really? This might solve some podcasting problems actually.

everyone who calls linux usable is always a coder

14 Likes

everyone who ignores the existence of OSX as a sane middle option that’s been around for a decade is too into hardware or too proud to buy into their prescriptivism (or too focused on buying things brand new to acknowledge the aftermarket)

2 Likes

i challenge anyone who complains about linux usability to use a recent (ie, within the past 5 years) distribution

y’all really don’t know how much worse windows is now.

1 Like

Windows got a lot better in the past couple years but I honestly adore Arch + Gnome

1 Like

Yo how

4 Likes

Always down for a twinstick shooter but honestly I don’t like the animation in this at all

2 Likes

one of these days I’m going to play this game

1 Like

The number of directors on this game had a high turnover, but Kusunoki-san was the last director and saw the project to completion. He was originally the art director. He was under a lot of pressure as well, and struggled to keep the project moving forward. There was a time when he looked really blue and sad. But there’s something that he said that I remember to this day. Like I mentioned, I was really depressed because nothing seemed to work, and Kusunoki-san was struggling as well. But one day he called me into his office looking elated and said, “I got it. I figured it out.” So I thought maybe he had come up with a solution to something, but instead he says, “If this project fails, it’s just the end of Sega. It’s no big deal. I feel so much better.” My reaction to that was that he must have lost his mind. But according to him, that realization helped him sort of get over it. I guess the thought that the worst thing that could happen was that the company would go bankrupt, and that was a small price to pay compared to the pressure he was under.

10 Likes

It feels both weird and pleasing to see PDS start getting recognition. At the very least it’s nice to see people address it as something other than “that rare game that fetches $300 on eBay.”

I remember being so disappointed when I wasn’t able to get a copy down here when it came out. I bought it for Way Too Much Money years later, and it’s been kind of a curse. I can count the number of games that have affected me the same way PDS did on one hand. After growing up with the first two Panzers, it was a way to dive deeper into the world I’d just been flying over. It doesn’t have a definite ending, but in a weird way I got some closure from it. I’ve begun to relish closure lately.

It’s really nice to read about the development and have some presumptions confirmed. Even back when I first played it, it was obvious the entire game was held together with high ambitions and prayers. It’s the furthest thing from perfect. It’s a beautiful mess.

5 Likes

no matter what operating system you use your computing experience will be miserable because of electron

6 Likes

2 Likes

Psyvariar is getting a Switch (and PS4) release.
It’ll include both Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin got a Steam release (previously PSVR) and if you own Psychonauts you should have a 20% off coupon.