The News Grandmaster 4000

I don’t have much else to add about Battle Royale other than it’s a shame there’ll probably never be a game directly based on that property, for obvious and wildly problematic reasons.

1 Like

i mean i have a wild plan for it definitely featuring children but it wont be a video game and who wants to crowdfund a private island

1 Like

Having a BR game starring teenagers would be sick AF

for certain values of sick

The World Ends With You Online

3 Likes

a battle royale game but it’s just that level from drakengard where you murder countless cursed children

1 Like

That’s why you want Day Z back.

I don’t really think “competitive multiplayer shooter” is the space for a broad “emotional and pacing landscape,” it’s kind of like asking for a drag race that respects your circadian rhythms

3 Likes

Oh, I do prefer DayZ to the stripped-down popular bastardization, but I can respect the virtues that survive in the bastardization the same way I respect Mass Effect 2 but don’t really like it next to the sprawling, overeager ME1.

1 Like

read the essay I haven’t written yet about how Mass Effect is the reification of neoliberal capitalism in video games

9 Likes

I ended up deleting the post I made earlier today analogizing something by way of my scheme of the prototypical action game schism between Nintendo’s tight, clean, considered designs and Sega’s exuberant, bursting, messy designs. It’s the true Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy we live with.

I reconsidered things

1 Like

Sega…messy? Can you unpack that because I really can’t see it.

I’d actually would love to see a take on the original Battle Royale concept with all the teenage schoolkids, but have it as a semi-open world single player game with predefined characters who each have their own narrative. something like…Siren?

2 Likes

Sure – more enemies, obstacles, and stuff fills the screen than can be dealt with. The player is expected to manage the situation but not perfect the situation. The game is wild with micro-options but does not divulge a true option.

See: Mario’s constrained, pathed levels next to Sonic’s multi-tier expanses. Space Harrier and Galaxy Force next to, well, everyone’s 2D shooters (really, most all of the Super Scalar games). You can even extend it to late period Sega: Shenmue’s maximalism, regardless of player needs.

It’s not intended as pejorative, just an observation.

3 Likes

Wish I could read the old actionbutton review of ME2 I wrote and update it with my Objectively True Opinions on ME3

1 Like

Rise from your grave.

1 Like

in a more just world dragon’s dogma 2 would have revealed itself to be an elaborate dmc prequel 40% through the game

4 Likes

Sparda = Dark Arisen Type Thang?

(I still need to complete that try as I might fatiguing adventure)

What the fuck was that game they showed at the PS4 reveal that never came out?

deep down?