The News Grandmaster 4000

I’m excited for the possibilities of even more advanced walking simulators

4 Likes

I was disappointed in the first one specifically because it only had warehouse environments but am I gonna buy this one too?

yeah probably

oh you don’t know about them saccades???

that study is super cool but eye tracking is mad expensive so unfortunately until that gets less expensive this is entirely in research-land

apparently the expensive part is the cable, which is something like $15000 when I was in academia for a minute?

how did I graduate with a cogsci degree who the fuck am I even

1 Like

Hmm, I imagine we’re not that far away from consumer-level eye-tracking. Sony was demoing eye tracking in their VR kit before it shipped and had a few games hooked up with it one GDC, like a version of Infamous using eye tracking to move the camera. I mean, Sony sold VR kits to academia for decades at those prices before Oculus and Vive started happening.

yeah, to be fair it was a long time ago when I last heard of the price of eye tracking so it has probably changed since then

I do still maintain that the technique (detecting the temporary blindness in a saccade) requires high enough resolution in your eye tracking that even as consumer-level stuff comes out, you won’t be able to use this technique with it

but I don’t know! maybe eye tracking has come a really long way! I would be excited to see

as an aside, we were looking at using eye tracking on starcraft players to see what they were paying attention to as part of some research paper about the actual “limits” of a mouse and keyboard interface

it didn’t quite end up in HCI land unfortunately

(I found the paper here it is: http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/Proceedings/2011/papers/0138/index.html)

(it is a little embarrassing)

1 Like

ACM … meet ZvT

I will believe anything you tell me about this, I have no idea how it’s expressed next to rough-resolution ‘where is the user looking’ data.

Presumably the Sony demos used comparable hardware to the Tobii Eye Tracking devices, which sell for $160 standalone and are integrated into some gaming laptops (presumably at a cost of $60 or less).

now that I’m thinking about it though if the only thing they need to do is detect when a saccade is happening, you probably don’t need research-level sampling rates to do so

the tobii device being used in the vive (which is the headset they’re using in the picture) can detect saccades, and its primary limiting factor (inconsistent head position requiring lots of recalibration on the device’s part) is solved by literally just strapping the device straight to your face

and so if you’re not trying to do something that requires a huge amount of positional tracking around the saccade itself then this could totally work on a consumer-grade eye tracking device! half the work seems to be handled by the technique used to alter the VR landscape

2 Likes

So Valve has plugged up the last little hole in their API able to provide sales data for games on Steam. While making Steam profiles private by default a while back pretty much killed SteamSpy one method still remained until just a few days ago. By doing some pretty hilarious math to the global achievement data people have managed to calculate very accurate player numbers with a few major caveats:

But this method only works for games with developer-defined Achievements, so it covers about 13,000 of the roughly 23,000 games now on Steam.

It’s not exactly clear how Valve defines this “Achievement denominator,” which approaches but doesn’t precisely match up with the “players” statistics provided to individual developers. The new data also gives no indication of how many people own the game without having played it. And, in very rare cases, this method could come up with a denominator that’s off by a factor of two, thanks to common factors (though this chance becomes vanishingly small in games with more than a few Achievements).

Bolded part probably immediately invalidates the list as being accurate sale numbers but probably a fair enough assessment of how games sold comparatively to each other. Of course, any number these could also have real inflated values from being on sale at 95% off or something at some point.

The article has a sample of the top selling games at the end but also provides a link to the full list here as a CSV file:
http://www.arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/games_achievements_players_2018-07-01.csv
(you can just open the downloaded file in your web browser to easily have a look at it)

For a fun and depressing time Ctrl-F your favourite games to see how much less they sold then Nekopara.

Probably the last time we’re able to get data like this unless Valve is real generous with their promised upcoming of sales data tool

1 Like

3 Likes

I like the music in that trailer.

very good design on the normally un-designed–

hijacking the store style:

even the system requirements:
SysReq

they know what’s up

4 Likes

I laughed so damn hard at this

3 Likes

i am a Dangerous Golf Defender and i regularly play burnout 3 crash mode in 2018 but man i just can’t get excited about anything danger zone. this thing is out next week and that’s the best trailer they could make? i mean it looks like that one highway in the daytime might be the only environment this time.

also just kind of a general shame that beam ng and/or wreckfest seem to be way better actual successors to burnout’s damage modeling and deformation tech than this small team can afford/accomplish

It’s got a good sense of speed but everything looks weird. Except the fire. The fire looks good

I’m just going to keep brining up a Criterion combat flight sim until they listen to me

1 Like

hmm, 4 player co-op megaman zx arpg?

I’m in.

1 Like
3 Likes

Slammed in the Butt by the Prehistoric Megalodon Shark Amid Accusations of Jumping Over Him

Pounded in the Butt by my Reluctance to Buy a Humble Bundle Featuring Stories with Gay Characters as Though That Has Some Kind of Bearing on My Own Sexuality or the Quality of the Product, then Eventually Realizing it’s Pretty Good and I’m Fine

The Handsome Pretendo Swap: Joysticks And Portable Screen Slam My Butt While Also Allowing Me To Control My Game

how do I get chuck tingle to write all my sb posts from now on

2 Likes