THE N64 SUCKS.... or does it???

don’t wimp out, list em for us to JUDGE/berate you for not including certain GAMES

4 Likes

Nah dogg.

4 Likes

fine I’ll list the 9 good games

blast corps
space station silicon valley
zelda
the other zelda
mystical ninja 64
wave race 64
wonder project j2
rocket robot on wheels
iggy’s wreckin balls

and that’s IT

honorable mention: mario 64

15 Likes

diddy kong racist
mario kart 64
bust-a-move '99 / puzzle bobble 3
ocarina of time

these are the only games i had but my fondest memories are with zelda and puzzle bobble ( which is totally coming out on steam soon, thankfully )

7 Likes

Nine is generous

3 Likes

seeing a lot of lists without certified good games Beetle Adventure Racing and Castlevania

8 Likes

the 9 i can come up with are sin & punishment, mischief makers, ogre battle 64, star soldier vanishing earth, nushi tsuri 64, f-zero x, evangelion, bangai-o, “mega man 64”… idk that’s it lol, the last two barely even count as n64 games

edit: sorry forgot about shiren 2, that totally belongs here

10 Likes

I think there might be some typos in your list of the nine good N64 games. This is what it should look like:

Bangai-o
Bust a Move (just because it’s on every platform and fun on any platform)
Extreme-G
Paper Mario
Pokemon Puzzle League
Sin and Punishment
Tetrisphere
The Zeldas

10 Likes

the aki wrestling games on n64 are generally thought of quite highly, but i haven’t really played much of any of them.

3 Likes

honestly not sure i can think of 9 good exclusive games on nintendo consoles post-snes, let alone just n64

(yes i’m bitter i get rubed into buying their stuff once a decade for a megaten or something)

5 Likes

N64 has like 30+ really strong games. there are more than 9 great games exclusively in the racing genre

18 Likes

no one’s saying Turok

why is no one saying Turok

why are you all cowards

8 Likes

i always meant to really play quest 64 maybe i’ll do that this year

7 Likes

Save it for the meetup. We can have it running opposite DQ.

4 Likes

please note that Quest 64 is the earliest and worst of the three regional variants (Quest 64 (North America), Holy Magic Century (PAL regions), Eltale Monsters (Japan))

the japanese version in particular apparently tunes the game quite a bit over the '98 releases

10 Likes

good n64 games is my pet topic!!
in addition to the stuff mentioned i’ll go to bat for:

Bomberman 64, 3D puzzle platformer except with bombs instead of jumping. Music slaps

Snowboard Kids 1 and 2, Mario Kart except with snowboards. Music slaps

Chameleon Twist, 3D puzzle platformer where your tongue is a grappling hook. Music slaps

Pokémon Snap [prof oak voice] WONDERFUL! why did it take them so long to develop a sequel to this. Music’s ok?

i really like the Banjo games ok. I replayed them last year the first one is just straight colorful and fun (with save states) and the second one is kind of a slog but the levels are all really creative and cool alright. Rare is really bad sometimes but theyre pretty good sometimes you got it

Yoshi’s Story (sings yoshi lullaby @ you)

Pokémon Stadium(s) especially if you import your Pokémon from the game boy games

and yes i’d like to renew my license as local Quest 64 stan

11 Likes

i actually really want an n64 + flashcart + capture device so i can explore the library and maybe also start writing about it. maybe i’m stuck in an old mindset, but it seems like a system where emulation is still somewhat shoddy? and the idiosyncratic controller seems like it’d be hard to map to anything i’ve got, too.

Emulation is pretty good right now though you need a decent computer. And the controller is definitely a weird fit but functional (i assign Z to the left trigger and C buttons to the right stick on my ps4 controller/steam deck and it mostly works)

1 Like

I’m getting the urge to throw my poll in the trash and declare that we will quantify just how many good games were on the N64. It would give me a good excuse to try that fan translated Shiren.

8 Likes

Quest 64 actually has a randomizer now and it is fucking dank as shit

4 Likes